FBI Los Angeles and Southern California Edison Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
FBI Los Angeles Assistant Director in Charge Kristi Johnson and Southern California Edison’s Brian Barrios discuss the importance of ongoing partnerships in protecting the energy sector.
Hello, I’m Kristi Johnson, assistant director in charge of the FBI Los Angeles Field Office.
Barrios: And I’m Brian Barrios, vice president of Cybersecurity and IT Compliance at Southern California Edison. We’re here at one of our substations that serves power to thousands of our customers.
Johnson: In recent years, the FBI has seen a wider-than-ever range of cyber actors threaten Americans’ safety, security, and confidence in our digitally connected world.
Barrios: The energy sector in the United States has a long history of working to reduce and prevent threats to electrical infrastructure, either natural or man‐made. The utility industry is committed to keeping communities safe. However, the capabilities of our cyber adversaries are changing quickly and that’s why we cannot face these threats alone…
Johnson: That’s right Brian - cyber security is the ultimate team sport. Partnerships are critical to defeating cyber criminals and to preventing lasting harm to businesses, consumers, and the community.
Barrios: The key to our success is a commitment to industry-government coordination. That’s one of the most important actions a company can take while preparing for cybersecurity events. This includes a collaborative partnership with the FBI, which is something we’ve done for many years. We encourage you to build a similar partnership.
Johnson: Once you’ve developed that relationship, the next step is to develop an incident response plan and to include the FBI in that plan. Bottom line, the FBI is most effective when we are engaged immediately following a cyber intrusion. It allows us – and our federal partners – to help limit the damage, improve our national security, and prevent others from being victimized.
Barrios: At SCE, safety is also our top priority and that’s why it’s critical to always be prepared for any type of cyber event before it occurs. It’s important to have the most effective tools and resources ready to go. If you experience a breach, report it immediately and involve the FBI as soon as possible.
Johnson: Cyber risk is business risk, and cyber security is national security. Report early and stay in close partnership with your local FBI field office. Together, we can defend America’s values, ingenuity, critical infrastructure, and business equities through robust and enduring partnerships.
- 01.16.2023 — FBI Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest in Unsolved Murders
- 01.13.2023 — Section Chief Jose Perez on Violent Crime Operations
- 01.12.2023 — Sextortion PSA – Salt Lake City
- 01.10.2023 — Madalina Cojocari Missing Person's Vodcast
- 12.29.2022 — FBI Atlanta: Surveillance in Ebenezer Baptist Church Vandalism Investigation
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
- 11.14.2022 — FBI Buffalo: Surveillance in CompassCare Arson Investigation
- 11.11.2022 — Little Rock B-Roll 110922
- 11.07.2022 — FBI and Wounded Warrior Regiment Connect for Career and Fitness Event
- 10.25.2022 — FBI Honolulu and Bank of Guam Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Short)
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Long)
- 10.03.2022 — FBI Dallas Continues Hate Crime Awareness Efforts
- 09.16.2022 — FBI Minneapolis Seeks Public’s Help in Identifying Person of Interest in South Dakota Homicide
- 09.14.2022 — Director Wray Addresses Recent Cyber Activity
- 09.12.2022 — Violent Crime Takedown B-Roll