Spies might seem like a throwback to earlier days of world wars and cold wars, but they are more common than ever—and they are targeting our nation’s most valuable secrets.
Economic espionage costs the American economy hundreds of billions of dollars per year and puts our national security at risk. These foreign competitors deliberately target economic intelligence in advanced technologies and successful U.S. industries.
Historically, economic espionage has targeted defense-related and high-tech industries. But recent FBI cases have shown that no industry, large or small, is immune to the threat. Any company with a proprietary product, process, or idea can be a target. Any unprotected trade secret can be illegally stolen.
In addition to its investigative work, the FBI works to raise public awareness and inform industry of the threats they face, through outreach activities.
In collaboration with the National Counterintelligence and Security Center, the FBI released a short film to educate anyone with a trade secret about how they can protect it. Based on an actual case, The Company Man: Protecting America’s Secrets illustrates how one U.S. company was targeted by foreign spies and how that company worked with the FBI to bring the perpetrators to justice.
- 08.02.2022 — U.S. Justice Department Seeks Seizure of Boeing 747 Cargo Plane Grounded in Argentina
- 07.29.2022 — Russian National Charged with Conspiring to Have U.S. Citizens Act As Illegal Agents of the Russian Government
- 07.26.2022 — Three in Lebanon Charged in Schemes to Smuggle Weapons from Cleveland and Income Tax Evasion
- 07.11.2022 — Intertech Trading Corporation Pleads Guilty to 14 Felonies for Failure to File Export Information on Shipments of Lab Equipment to Russia and Ukraine
- 07.07.2022 — Five Individuals Indicted for Crimes Related to Transnational Repression Scheme to Silence Critics of the People’s Republic of China Residing in the United States
- 07.07.2022 — Five Men Indicted for Crimes Related to Transnational Repression Scheme to Silence Critics of the People’s Republic of China Residing in the United States
- 06.28.2022 — U.S. Citizen Pleads Guilty to Conspiring to Provide Electronic Equipment and Technology to the Government of Iran
- 06.23.2022 — Former U.S. Military Pilot Admits Acting as Paid Agent of China and Lying on National Security Background Forms