If someone is in imminent danger, call 911 or your local police immediately.
When to Contact the FBI
If you have an emergency that requires an immediate law enforcement response, please call 911 or contact your local Police Department or Sheriff’s Department first.
The FBI is a federal investigative and intelligence agency with jurisdiction in a wide range of federal crimes; national security matters such as terrorism and espionage; cyber/computer crimes and intrusions; and intelligence activities that relate to those missions.
Please contact your local FBI office or submit a tip electronically if you have information about:
- Possible acts of terrorism, including violence, funding, or recruitment;
- Persons sympathetic to terrorists or terrorist organizations;
- Suspicious activities that you believe threaten national security, especially suspicious activities that involve foreign powers or foreign organizations;
- Computer crimes or intrusions into computer networks, particularly those associated with national security;
- Corrupt activities in state, local, or federal governments or in law enforcement;
- Racial or hate crimes, human trafficking (involuntary servitude or slavery), or other civil rights crimes;
- Organized crime activities;
- Financial crimes that involve fraud, especially corporate fraud, mortgage fraud, or other investment fraud schemes where significant dollar losses have occurred, including those impacting you or your place of work;
- Fraud in the health care industry;
- Persons who have committed or are planning to commit bank robbery, kidnapping, extortion, or thefts of valuable art, large interstate shipments of goods, or monetary instruments; and activities of violent gangs.
See What We Investigate for more information on our areas of investigative responsibility.
You can report violations of U.S. federal law or submit information in a criminal or terrorism investigation as follows:
- Use our online Tips and Public Leads form;
- Contact your local FBI field office or closest international office;
- To report suspicious activity involving chemical, biological, or radiological materials, call (toll-free): 855-TELL-FBI or 855-835-5324.
- Report an online scam or e-mail hoax by filing a complaint online with our Internet Crime Complaint Center or by using our online Tips and Public Leads form;
- To provide information on select major cases, call our Major Case Contact Center at 1-800-CALL-FBI (225-5324)