Mission & Priorities
Ahead of the threat
Protect the American people and uphold the Constitution of the United States
- Protect the U.S. from terrorist attack
- Protect the U.S. against foreign intelligence, espionage, and cyber operations
- Combat significant cyber criminal activity
- Combat public corruption at all levels
Our People & Leadership
The FBI employs more than 35,000 people, including special agents and support professionals such as intelligence analysts, language specialists, scientists, and information technology specialists. Learn how you can join us at FBIJobs.gov. For details on our executives and organizational structure, see our Leadership & Structure webpage.
We work around the globe. Along with our Headquarters in Washington, D.C., we have 56 field offices located in major cities throughout the U.S., about 350 satellite offices called resident agencies in cities and towns across the nation, and more than 60 international offices called legal attachés in U.S. embassies worldwide.
In fiscal year 2021, our total direct-funded budget is approximately $9.7 billion, including increases to:
- enhance cyber and counterintelligence capabilities;
- support firearms background checks;
- further automate the vetting process;
- increase data analytics and technical tools; and
- investigate and prosecute previously unresolved civil rights era ‘‘cold case’’ murders.
Our Core Values
- Rigorous obedience to the Constitution