Boom, Child Advocacy Center Director
The director of the Child Advocacy Center in Chiang Mai, Thailand, talks about the services her organization—which receives financial and investigative support from the FBI—provides to child victims.
Currently many victims of child sex trafficking enter sex trade in younger age like 13, 14 years old.
Many of them, because of their family situation, many of them don’t realize that they are victims. So, in order for them to take our sides and willing to testify, because in Thailand if there’s no victims, there’s no case. So, we must have the victims to testify against their traffickers.
So in having this place, it allows, you know, for victims they can come and go as they want. We don’t force them.
This place is open during the day. If they need, if they’re hungry, they can come. And I think we’ve been successful that kids have been coming on their own when they’re not in school so they have a place to come.
We want to make sure that in the child interview room, we can make it live interview, where if you, for example, if you, the FBI, would like to observe the interview and ask questions right away, to do it together, they can log in and see the interview live. And then they can ask questions. And these will help reduce, you know, the repetition in, you know, the children being questioned so many times.
The Children’s Advocacy Center was established because we would like to assist the victims through the justice system without too many repetition of services available for them.
When they come here, they can come, they can play music, they can bake, they can do crafting, they can talk to our staff. We also teach children how to protect and save themselves from being abused. And teach them if something happened to them who they can report to.
When they come here there’s police here that would build trust with them. Then they are willing, and there’s a social workers, so they’re willing to work with the victims with the law enforcement. And I think it creates a new view of the justice system when the police are more like child-friendly and victim-focused.
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
- 11.14.2022 — FBI Buffalo: Surveillance in CompassCare Arson Investigation
- 11.11.2022 — Little Rock B-Roll 110922
- 11.07.2022 — FBI and Wounded Warrior Regiment Connect for Career and Fitness Event
- 10.25.2022 — FBI Honolulu and Bank of Guam Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Short)
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Long)
- 10.03.2022 — FBI Dallas Continues Hate Crime Awareness Efforts
- 09.16.2022 — FBI Minneapolis Seeks Public’s Help in Identifying Person of Interest in South Dakota Homicide
- 09.14.2022 — Director Wray Addresses Recent Cyber Activity
- 09.12.2022 — Violent Crime Takedown B-Roll
- 09.12.2022 — FBI Director Christopher Wray on How the FBI Is Helping to Combat Violent Crime
- 09.09.2022 — FBI Minneapolis Seeks Public’s Help in Identifying Person of Interest in South Dakota Homicide
- 09.07.2022 — Cyber PSA from FBI Jacksonville
- 08.26.2022 — FBI Jacksonville Collegiate Academy PSA
- 08.14.2022 — Operation Cross Country 2022 B-Roll