Rob Abrams, Deputy Attaché, Homeland Security Investigations
The deputy attaché for the Department of Homeland Security's HSI office in Bangkok, Thailand, says providing better support for victims makes good sense from an investigative standpoint because better witnesses make for better trials.
One of the things I like to emphasize anytime I talk to my Thai colleagues is that we’re not here to give any sort of didactic learning experience. In fact what we’d like to do is have you learn from our mistakes.
And the victim-centric approach to dealing with victims and child witnesses and material witnesses is still fairly new to U.S. law enforcement. Were about 15-17 years into doing so truly, really in practice now. And really what it represents is the best international practice in dealing with child victims and child witnesses.
It represent a bringing together of law enforcement and social service entities, medical professionals and victim advocates. It educates our victims to where they are in the criminal justice process. It gets them the resources they need. And perhaps most importantly it gets them the entitlements that they deserve.
So citing for example the Trafficking Victims Protection Act—the Adam Walsh Act—we have certain obligations in federal law enforcement to our victim. So a lot of what we’re doing isn’t necessarily because its morally or ethically correct, and it is, it also what’s legally mandated for us to do. And at the end of the day it makes for better victims and witnesses. Better victims and witnesses make for more successful trials.
- 06.11.2018 — FBI Swears In Honors Interns
- 05.25.2018 — FBI New York - Citgo Robbery on February 14, 2018
- 05.15.2018 — Tennessee Ponzi Scheme Preyed on Friends and Neighbors
- 05.07.2018 — Reporting Cyber Crime is as Easy as IC3
- 04.27.2018 — Director’s Community Leadership Awards promotional video
- 04.26.2018 — Facebook Live Event - Becoming an Intelligence Analyst
- 04.25.2018 — 2017 Director's Community Leadership Awards
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division completes final day at RSA Conference
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division wraps up 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Recruiting seminar at the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Meet an FBI Bomb Technician and working K-9 at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — San Francisco section chief to speak at 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Visit the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.12.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Rafael Caro-Quintero Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.03.2018 — Operation Targets Dark Web Drug Buyers
- 03.29.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Available in Kevin Robert Harris, II Murder Investigation
- 03.23.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Seeking Tips in Amy Bradley Investigation
- 03.16.2018 — Facebook Live Event - FBI Investigative Publicity Program
- 03.08.2018 — Special Agent Selection Process: Core Competencies
- 02.20.2018 — Facebook Live Event: FBI Victim Assistance