John Schachnovsky, FBI Legal Attaché, Bangkok
John Schachnovsky, head of the FBI office in Thailand, describes how the Royal Thai Police has moved quickly to embrace a more victim-centered approach.
This is one of those opportunities where we can discuss a problem that the world knows is a problem. There aren’t two sides to child exploitation issues. There’s not two sides to taking care of victims or witnesses. This is a situation where were able to do something that a hundred-percent right, that has to be done, that anybody you talk to it about says, well, of course you should be doing this. But even though it’s an obvious thing it’s still difficult.
And for the Thai police this is a huge change for them. To put in their offices people that are not sworn law enforcement officers, that are going to take care of victims and witnesses, if you told me six years ago when I had been here for a few months and saw the lay of the land on the Thai Police, if you told me that in six years we would have victim-witness coordination training in Thailand I’d say, okay, maybe in six years. It would take a while, but I wouldn't be sure it would happen.
The fact that this is happening now and the effort and the attitude they have toward this crime and toward this issue, it makes me really proud to have been here six years and to see the change.
- 10.08.2019 — Wanted by the FBI: Jennifer Lea Settle Sought in Daughter McKenna Butcher’s Kidnapping
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: North Little Rock, Arkansas, 1992/1993
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: Las Vegas, Nevada, 1993
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: New Orleans, Louisiana, 1982
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: Miami, Florida, 1972
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: Covington, Kentucky, 1984
- 09.26.2019 — FBI Tools of the Trade: Riverine Craft (360-Degree Video)
- 09.21.2019 — FBI San Diego Think Before You Post PSA
- 09.20.2019 — Made in America
- 09.18.2019 — My Dynamic Huntsville
- 09.18.2019 — My Unique Huntsville
- 09.18.2019 — Video Loop of The Killing Fields
- 09.18.2019 — FBI Seeking Clues in Texas 'Killing Fields' Murders
- 09.13.2019 — FBI Plea for 9/11 Responders to Register for Health Benefits (Social Media Version)
- 09.11.2019 — Lori's Story: 9/11 Victim's Sister Recalls 'Very Reverent Moment'
- 09.10.2019 — FBI Boston: Armed Robbery of Convenience Store in Dedham, Massachusetts
- 09.06.2019 — 9/11 Memorial at Terrorist Screening Center
- 08.22.2019 — Echoes of Columbine
- 08.16.2019 — FBI Honors Intern Profile: Kendall, Information Management Division
- 08.16.2019 — FBI Honors Intern Profile: Anne, Laboratory Division