Rick Snelsire, INL Director, U.S. Embassy in Bangkok
The director of the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) at the U.S. Embassy in Thailand talks about victim assistance training in Thailand.
So my name’s Rick Snelsire and I’m the director for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs here at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. And, basically, my office funds training programs for prosecutors and judges and also law enforcement officials for Thailand and also the other countries in the region.
In Thailand most of our programs recently have been focused on trafficking in persons, which is a big issue in Thailand. And trafficking—both labor trafficking, sex trafficking—is a problem in the region and in Thailand. So we’ve focused a lot on that.
It is a big sea change. The Royal Thai Police, they have a pretty robust training program. But much like law enforcement, I think in the U.S. probably 40 years ago, there wasn’t a lot of training on victims’ needs and how to deal with victims. I mean that’s something that is a relatively new evolution in the United States.
So that is kind of where were at now in this part of the world so we’re able to kind of share the growing pains and the challenges that we went through, I guess, in the law enforcement community in the United States and share that experience with them.
It’s important for us that the Thai’s have expressed a desire for this and a commitment from their top leadership. And if it’s successful then we can perhaps even look at expanding it to other countries in the region because this problem is not unique to Thailand. It exists in many other countries in the region.
- 10.08.2019 — Wanted by the FBI: Jennifer Lea Settle Sought in Daughter McKenna Butcher’s Kidnapping
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: North Little Rock, Arkansas, 1992/1993
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: Las Vegas, Nevada, 1993
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: New Orleans, Louisiana, 1982
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: Miami, Florida, 1972
- 10.06.2019 — Samuel Little Confession: Covington, Kentucky, 1984
- 09.26.2019 — FBI Tools of the Trade: Riverine Craft (360-Degree Video)
- 09.21.2019 — FBI San Diego Think Before You Post PSA
- 09.20.2019 — Made in America
- 09.18.2019 — My Dynamic Huntsville
- 09.18.2019 — My Unique Huntsville
- 09.18.2019 — Video Loop of The Killing Fields
- 09.18.2019 — FBI Seeking Clues in Texas 'Killing Fields' Murders
- 09.13.2019 — FBI Plea for 9/11 Responders to Register for Health Benefits (Social Media Version)
- 09.11.2019 — Lori's Story: 9/11 Victim's Sister Recalls 'Very Reverent Moment'
- 09.10.2019 — FBI Boston: Armed Robbery of Convenience Store in Dedham, Massachusetts
- 09.06.2019 — 9/11 Memorial at Terrorist Screening Center
- 08.22.2019 — Echoes of Columbine
- 08.16.2019 — FBI Honors Intern Profile: Kendall, Information Management Division
- 08.16.2019 — FBI Honors Intern Profile: Anne, Laboratory Division