Remembering Pan Am Flight 103: David Jardine
David Jardine, a firefighter with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, recalls the night the alarm sounded and he responded 30 years ago to the events on December 21, 1988, in Lockerbie, Scotland.
An image that I see from Lockerbie, I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen it, and I keep memorizing it—it’s the end house at Park Place that lost what we call the gable end. You know, the end wall and a portion of the front wall. I remember looking up to this house because we weren’t allowed to go anywhere near the fuselage at that time. There was a dresser, there was a dressing table. And on the dressing table there was an image of a vase, a white vase with two hands and a ball in the middle of it. I just … these are the kind of images that I sort of defer to or I see more often and unfortunately, there was a number of fatalities on the ground which I couldn’t pick a face out of.
But these things … I think I was maybe wondering the level of impact and you had taken a look and see what could unfortunately have happened or how lucky were we that it didn’t. Sadly, so that the 259 on the plane and the 11 on the ground at Park Place that lost their lives. My thoughts are always with them. But it could have been so much worse.
- 01.12.2022 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Fighting Violent Crime
- 12.21.2021 — FBI Seattle Warns About Ransomware
- 12.20.2021 — Stay Cybersecure This Holiday Season
- 12.07.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Shares Tips to Avoid Holiday Scams
- 12.06.2021 — Consumer Shares Their Holiday Shopping Scam Experience
- 12.02.2021 — Victim of Romance Scam Who Became Money Mule Tells Story
- 11.23.2021 — Citizens Academy Alumni Association President Reflects on Organization's Role
- 11.22.2021 — Karen Corrigan Describes Role of FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association
- 11.19.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns About Holiday Scams
- 11.18.2021 — Iranian Nationals Charged with Interfering in 2020 U.S. Presidential Election
- 11.16.2021 — Sister of Missing Woman Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Disappearance
- 11.16.2021 — Mother of Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Daughter's Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Inside the FBI: Health Care Fraud
- 11.15.2021 — Friend of Missing Person John Tran Seeks Clues in Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Missing Person: John Bui Tran
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.29.2021 — Inside the FBI Podcast: UFOs
- 10.29.2021 — FBI New Haven: Help Stop Hate Crimes
- 10.26.2021 — FBI and Partners Target Online Drug Markets