Remembering Pan Am Flight 103: The 'Laundry Ladies'
Elma Pringle, Josephine Donaldson, and Moira Shearer were among the many volunteers in Lockerbie who assisted in recovery efforts. The “laundry ladies,” as they became known, began to clean and carefully fold and package the recovered clothing of the victims so that the items could be returned to loved ones.
Elma Pringle: I think it was just one of these things, wasn’t it? We never actually thought about it at the time. It was just, I think, everybody wanted to do something.
Josephine Donaldson: Yes exactly.
Pringle: And that was the thing. We were able to go and help in the laundry. But there was a lot of people—older people—that couldn't come and do that. But they baked. And they would turn up at the kitchens with sponge cakes and scones, just forever. It was just for something to do. You wanted to just do something—rather than just sit there—and help.
Moira Shearer: The school was inundated with everything. I think the shops were emptied of vegetables and what have you. But then the cakes and the scones started, and that was for the boys. They needed something like that to keep them going because they were only boys …
Pringle: They were only boys.
Shearer: … thrown into something horrific, and that’s it. There’s lots of people in Lockerbie that we’ll never know who were really kind and done a lot and never said a word about it.
Donaldson: I know, mom’s dead now, but she baked and baked—and she was a crackin’ baker.
Pringle: And sometimes when the boys came in from searching, they didn’t want a meal …
Donaldson: No—the sweet stuff.
Pringle: … they just wanted a few minutes to sit in the corner to think and maybe just have a wee cup of tea and a wee scone and a wee something, isn’t it? Fifteen minutes and then get their heads around it. Because they were seeing terrible things.
- 08.12.2020 — Central Records Complex Opens to House FBI Files
- 08.06.2020 — FBI Boston: Vandalism and Arson of a Providence Police Department Cruiser
- 08.05.2020 — FBI Cleveland: CVS Robbery Surveillance Footage
- 07.31.2020 — FBI San Francisco Remarks on Twitter Security Incident Investigation
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Boat Engines and Wake
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Piecing the Evidence Together
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Recovering Evidence in Murky Waters
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Examining Evidence
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Student on Boat
- 07.22.2020 — Post-Blast Training Boat Wake Loop
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Diver Enters Water
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: In the Classroom
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Boats Passing
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: Can We Protect Freedom of Speech While Addressing Fake News and Influence Campaigns Online?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What is the FBI Doing to Combat Election Fraud?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What is the FBI's Role in Securing the Election?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: How Does the FBI Work With Others to Ensure the Integrity of Elections?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: How Can Voters and Campaigns Find Information About Helping to Strengthen Electoral System?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What Should an Oregonian Do If They Believe Someone Has Violated Their Voting Rights?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: Are You Concerned About the Impact That Russia or Other Countries May Have on 2020 Elections?