Remembering Pan Am Flight 103: Tom McCullough
Tom McCulloch was a police officer with the Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary in 1988 when the Lockerbie air disaster occurred.
Pan Am 103 was destroyed over Dumfries and Galloway. But the response was a Scottish police response. It wasn’t simply Dumfries and Galloway; it was a Scottish police response. It was officers from all over Scotland. And, certainly, on the first night, there was officers that traveled up from Cumbria, from Lancashire. Then the military were brought in to expand the search area. We searched an area of 840 square miles. That’s a big area. A lot of material after the explosion, a lot of lighter material was blown away from Lockerbie towards the east coast. And so, there was areas that had to be searched, and we needed resources to do that. And the military were brought in to assist. And in many respects, I felt sorry for some of the young soldiers who were coming in, because these were kids who were maybe 17 or 18, maybe never even seen a dead body. But they were thrust into this and did a good job.
People had to stand up to the mark, had to be counted, and had to do what was required of them. It was an experience, but it was driven by the hope that we could deliver justice for the relatives and for those who had died. And that was always the hope.
If I was to perhaps see that something positive that came out of this was the recognition or the realization that we needed to have a victim strategy for Scotland, we needed to have something positive that we could offer victims of crime. We’ve now got a national service, Victim Support Scotland. So that was something positive that came out of it. And working with people, with family members, with people who are victims of crime, there’s a lot of satisfaction in that.
- 01.15.2021 — FBI San Francisco Field Office Message on Protecting Communities
- 01.12.2021 — Vodcast: Wanted by the FBI - Hung Tien Pham
- 12.31.2020 — FBI Washington Field Office Warns the Public About Reshipping Scams
- 12.31.2020 — FBI Washington Field Office Warns the Public About Work From Home Scams
- 12.31.2020 — FBI Washington Field Office Warns Consumers About Gift Card Scams
- 12.22.2020 — Be Aware of Online Shopping Scams this Holiday Season
- 12.21.2020 — FBI Special Agent in Charge Craig Fair announces reward in San Francisco church arson
- 12.16.2020 — FBI Pittsburgh Highlights Teen Academy
- 12.16.2020 — Luis Quesada: Felices Fiestas
- 12.16.2020 — FBI El Paso Holiday Message
- 12.09.2020 — Seeking Information on Man Who Fired Rifle at Chicago Metra Stop
- 12.03.2020 — FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Shopping Scams
- 12.03.2020 — FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Social Media Scams
- 12.03.2020 — FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Charity Scams
- 11.18.2020 — Highlights from Director Wray's Remarks at World Economic Forum Annual Meeting on Cybersecurity
- 11.18.2020 — FBI San Diego Thanksgiving Message
- 11.13.2020 — Remarks by Sanjay Virmani About IRGC Covert Influence Campaign
- 11.10.2020 — FBI Tampa Veterans Day Message
- 11.02.2020 — FBI Buffalo and U.S. Attorney Remarks on Integrity and Security of Elections
- 10.23.2020 — Zach Gusé: I Wanted to Let the Light In