Agent Tam Dao Describes Joining FBI
Tam Dao, a special agent in the Houston Division who primarily investigates national security crimes while also serving as a professor at the University of Houston, was born in Vietnam just weeks before the fall of Saigon in 1975.
Prior to joining the Bureau, I was a professor at a university, University of Houston, and joint appointment at Baylor College of Medicine—that’s where I did a lot of research. And I saw one side of personality assessment. And then during that same time period I started working a lot with the court system, being an expert witness in a lot of the cases. I think about 100 cases I’ve been an expert witness in. So, I got to see the law enforcement side. So right about that time frame is when I said I’ll check out the law enforcement side also a little bit.
Within the FBI, there’s just so many things for me to do, from being a certified negotiator to working with folks up at Headquarters, analyze their data, because my background is in statistics. So, you can have a degree, like myself, that’s not like law enforcement, and be a professor like myself, be a psychologist like myself, and just come on in and serve your country.
You can come from a completely different background with really no knowledge in law enforcement, but love your country and love the idea of what an FBI agent does or serves. The Bureau has a place for you. As long as you are honest, and obey the Constitution and work hard, just basic values the FBI appreciates or thrives upon: fidelity, bravery, integrity kind of stuff.
- 06.16.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Offered in Maurice Spagnoletti Murder Case
- 06.15.2017 — Surveillance Video of Missing Student Yingying Zhang
- 06.08.2017 — National Academy Graduates 50,000th Student
- 05.30.2017 — Chicago Activist Andrew Holmes Works to Strengthen Relationships With Law Enforcement
- 05.30.2017 — Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson Describes Evolution of Violence
- 05.30.2017 — Fighting Violent Crime in Chicago
- 05.30.2017 — Chicago School Principal Describes Unique Challenges
- 05.30.2017 — Chicago FBI Special Agent in Charge Michael Anderson Describes Countering Violence
- 05.26.2017 — Women Rising: Stories From Trailblazing Female Leaders of the FBI
- 05.26.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: National Missing Children’s Day
- 05.26.2017 — FBI Special Agent Careers
- 05.14.2017 — E-Check: Edit Search Criteria at Validation Screen
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Theo Williams
- 05.03.2017 — 2016 Director’s Community Leadership Awards
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Al Tribble
- 05.03.2017 — FBI Recruitment Video
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Dan Rodriguez
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Erin Sheridan
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Jean O'Connor
- 05.02.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting