Agent Tam Dao Describes Joining FBI
Tam Dao, a special agent in the Houston Division who primarily investigates national security crimes while also serving as a professor at the University of Houston, was born in Vietnam just weeks before the fall of Saigon in 1975.
Prior to joining the Bureau, I was a professor at a university, University of Houston, and joint appointment at Baylor College of Medicine—that’s where I did a lot of research. And I saw one side of personality assessment. And then during that same time period I started working a lot with the court system, being an expert witness in a lot of the cases. I think about 100 cases I’ve been an expert witness in. So, I got to see the law enforcement side. So right about that time frame is when I said I’ll check out the law enforcement side also a little bit.
Within the FBI, there’s just so many things for me to do, from being a certified negotiator to working with folks up at Headquarters, analyze their data, because my background is in statistics. So, you can have a degree, like myself, that’s not like law enforcement, and be a professor like myself, be a psychologist like myself, and just come on in and serve your country.
You can come from a completely different background with really no knowledge in law enforcement, but love your country and love the idea of what an FBI agent does or serves. The Bureau has a place for you. As long as you are honest, and obey the Constitution and work hard, just basic values the FBI appreciates or thrives upon: fidelity, bravery, integrity kind of stuff.
- 10.23.2020 — Zach Gusé: I Wanted to Let the Light In
- 10.23.2020 — Brent Gillespie: Please Come Forward
- 10.22.2020 — Branson Jernigan: It Seems Like People Have Been Forgetting About Her
- 10.21.2020 — Fresno’s Breaking the Chains Receives FBI Director’s Community Leadership Award
- 10.20.2020 — Kole Gusé: She's Probably Dead
- 10.19.2020 — Melissa Gusé: Damaged Family
- 10.18.2020 — Zach Gusé: I Lost My Mind
- 10.17.2020 — David Kaulk: We May Never See Her Again
- 10.16.2020 — Brad Bilderback: Somebody Knows Something
- 10.15.2020 — Proteger Su Voto
- 10.15.2020 — FBI Pittsburgh Remarks on QQAAZZ Indictment
- 10.15.2020 — Richard Eddy: Witness
- 10.14.2020 — Melissa Gusé: Your Mind Wanders
- 10.13.2020 — Chicago FBI Asks Public to Assist on Election Security
- 10.13.2020 — Zach Gusé: My Whole Body and Soul
- 10.08.2020 — Ashley Forbes: Nobody in Town Goes Missing Like This
- 10.07.2020 — In the Aftermath
- 10.06.2020 — FBI San Diego Describes Election Security Efforts
- 10.06.2020 — Safeguarding Your Vote: A Joint Message on Election Security
- 10.05.2020 — FBI San Francisco Statement on East Bay PPP Case