Agent Tam Dao Describes Joining FBI
Tam Dao, a special agent in the Houston Division who primarily investigates national security crimes while also serving as a professor at the University of Houston, was born in Vietnam just weeks before the fall of Saigon in 1975.
Prior to joining the Bureau, I was a professor at a university, University of Houston, and joint appointment at Baylor College of Medicine—that’s where I did a lot of research. And I saw one side of personality assessment. And then during that same time period I started working a lot with the court system, being an expert witness in a lot of the cases. I think about 100 cases I’ve been an expert witness in. So, I got to see the law enforcement side. So right about that time frame is when I said I’ll check out the law enforcement side also a little bit.
Within the FBI, there’s just so many things for me to do, from being a certified negotiator to working with folks up at Headquarters, analyze their data, because my background is in statistics. So, you can have a degree, like myself, that’s not like law enforcement, and be a professor like myself, be a psychologist like myself, and just come on in and serve your country.
You can come from a completely different background with really no knowledge in law enforcement, but love your country and love the idea of what an FBI agent does or serves. The Bureau has a place for you. As long as you are honest, and obey the Constitution and work hard, just basic values the FBI appreciates or thrives upon: fidelity, bravery, integrity kind of stuff.
- 10.12.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Lamont Stephenson Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 10.11.2018 — New Sit-Up Protocol for FBI Mandatory Physical Fitness Test
- 10.03.2018 — FBI Phoenix: Mismatch Bandit, September 25, 2018 Walgreens Pharmacy Robbery
- 10.03.2018 — FBI Phoenix: Mismatch Bandit, September 15, 2018 Subway Shop Robbery
- 09.24.2018 — Daughter of Slain Virginia Trooper Seeks Clues in Unsolved Case
- 09.24.2018 — FBI Crime Data Explorer
- 09.04.2018 — Facebook Live Event: An Inside Look at Physical Fitness
- 09.03.2018 — Smithsonian Assists FBI in Minnesota Ruby Slippers Case
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Information Security (InfoSec)
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Wi-Fi
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Social Engineering
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Virtual Private Networks
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Safer Campaign Communications
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Router Hardening
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Patching, Firewalls, and Anti-Virus Software
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Passwords
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Incident Response
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Have You Been Hacked?
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Cloud-Based Services
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Browser and App Safety