Agent Hesham Elgamiel Describes Joining FBI
Hesham Elgamiel, a special agent who supervises a counterterrorism unit in the FBI’s Houston Division, was born and raised in Egypt and arrived in the U.S. when he was 15.
You know, there are many job opportunities out there that everyone in the audience probably qualifies for, most of which will be financial compensate them more than an FBI agent position. But none of them will be as rewarding as an FBI agent position.
I’ve had throughout my career, especially the last few years, soft job offers from private sector companies that were very lucrative. It didn’t take me long to turn them down because I realize that this is not for the money and I don’t think anybody who is doing this job currently is doing it for the money; it is the reward of what we do. Even though it has its frustrating times, just like any other job, working on some of the things that we are working on—especially in the counterterrorism, international terrorism arena—is extremely rewarding and fulfilling. So, anybody who wants to do this, they have to do it because they have passion for it. It’s not a job like any other nine-to-five job.
- 10.12.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Lamont Stephenson Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 10.11.2018 — New Sit-Up Protocol for FBI Mandatory Physical Fitness Test
- 10.03.2018 — FBI Phoenix: Mismatch Bandit, September 25, 2018 Walgreens Pharmacy Robbery
- 10.03.2018 — FBI Phoenix: Mismatch Bandit, September 15, 2018 Subway Shop Robbery
- 09.24.2018 — Daughter of Slain Virginia Trooper Seeks Clues in Unsolved Case
- 09.24.2018 — FBI Crime Data Explorer
- 09.04.2018 — Facebook Live Event: An Inside Look at Physical Fitness
- 09.03.2018 — Smithsonian Assists FBI in Minnesota Ruby Slippers Case
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Information Security (InfoSec)
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Wi-Fi
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Social Engineering
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Virtual Private Networks
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Safer Campaign Communications
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Router Hardening
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Patching, Firewalls, and Anti-Virus Software
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Passwords
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Incident Response
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Have You Been Hacked?
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Cloud-Based Services
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Browser and App Safety