Agent Hesham Elgamiel Describes Joining FBI
Hesham Elgamiel, a special agent who supervises a counterterrorism unit in the FBI’s Houston Division, was born and raised in Egypt and arrived in the U.S. when he was 15.
You know, there are many job opportunities out there that everyone in the audience probably qualifies for, most of which will be financial compensate them more than an FBI agent position. But none of them will be as rewarding as an FBI agent position.
I’ve had throughout my career, especially the last few years, soft job offers from private sector companies that were very lucrative. It didn’t take me long to turn them down because I realize that this is not for the money and I don’t think anybody who is doing this job currently is doing it for the money; it is the reward of what we do. Even though it has its frustrating times, just like any other job, working on some of the things that we are working on—especially in the counterterrorism, international terrorism arena—is extremely rewarding and fulfilling. So, anybody who wants to do this, they have to do it because they have passion for it. It’s not a job like any other nine-to-five job.
- 02.20.2018 — Facebook Live Event: FBI Victim Assistance
- 02.20.2018 — Seeking Information in Memphis Gas Station Robbery
- 02.16.2018 — FBI Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program
- 02.16.2018 — Children of Thomas Wales Seek Information
- 02.09.2018 — FBI Cincinnati Hate Crime Investigation
- 02.08.2018 — Download the FBI Bank Robbers App
- 02.05.2018 — Salt Lake City ATM Robbery Attempt
- 02.02.2018 — 2017 Biometric Identification Award
- 01.26.2018 — Kidnapping in Calumet City, Illinois, December 20, 2017
- 01.17.2018 — FBI and Security Preparations for Super Bowl LII
- 01.17.2018 — Super Bowl Brings a Focus on Human Trafficking
- 01.09.2018 — E-Check Tutorial: Firearm Retrieval Questions
- 01.09.2018 — FBI Hazardous Devices School Intro
- 01.09.2018 — Training with Bomb Disposal Robots (360-Degree Video)
- 01.09.2018 — Inside the FBI’s Hazardous Devices School
- 01.02.2018 — Arizona Armed Robbery
- 12.18.2017 — Utah U.S. Attorney Discusses Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — SEC Regional Director Describes Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — Utah Fraud Victim Describes Her Ordeal
- 12.18.2017 — Salt Lake Agent Describes Affinity Fraudster Tactics