Interview with the wife of fallen HRT member Steve Shaw. Special Agents Shaw and Christopher W. Lorek died May 17, 2013, during a maritime counterterrorism exercise off the coast of Virginia Beach, Virginia. The members of the Hostage Rescue Team (HRT) were fast-roping out of a helicopter when the aircraft encountered serious difficulties, causing the men to fall a significant distance into the water and suffer fatal injuries.
He was just very easygoing. Very open. Very sincere. He wasn’t the type of person that talked about himself a lot, as I’m sure you’ve heard from a lot of different people.
He asks a lot of questions about you. He was interested in knowing about you. And so that definitely caught my attention.
He was passionate about what he did. He really, really enjoyed his job. He wanted to make a difference. And you know he said HRT wasn’t just a job; he said it was a calling. And I believe so. I really think that’s what he felt.
Steve told me on multiple occasions that his job is dangerous and sometimes they would do things that most people wouldn't even dream of doing. And he told me if you ever get a knock at the door and it’s guys from the team you know something went wrong. And I kind of just stored that in the back of my mind. Left it there. Didn't think anything of it.
So, the day of, which was May 17th, it was a Friday, I got a knock at my door and I looked out and saw a bunch of guys in that, their shirt with the HRT logo.
I just flashed back to that moment when Steve told me if ever there was that knock at the door.
A lot of people have talked about Steve from the perspective of a friend, of a coworker. But as a father, as a husband, he was an unbelievable dad, an unbelievable husband who really put his kids and myself before him.
I think my kids give me that strength that I need to deal with it as best as I can and to move forward as best as I can, just because I really don't have any other option. Kids are the driving force that keep everything moving every day. It’s a new day and you try to make the best of it.
- 08.12.2020 — Central Records Complex Opens to House FBI Files
- 08.06.2020 — FBI Boston: Vandalism and Arson of a Providence Police Department Cruiser
- 08.05.2020 — FBI Cleveland: CVS Robbery Surveillance Footage
- 07.31.2020 — FBI San Francisco Remarks on Twitter Security Incident Investigation
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Boat Engines and Wake
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Piecing the Evidence Together
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Recovering Evidence in Murky Waters
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Examining Evidence
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Student on Boat
- 07.22.2020 — Post-Blast Training Boat Wake Loop
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Diver Enters Water
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: In the Classroom
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Boats Passing
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: Can We Protect Freedom of Speech While Addressing Fake News and Influence Campaigns Online?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What is the FBI Doing to Combat Election Fraud?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What is the FBI's Role in Securing the Election?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: How Does the FBI Work With Others to Ensure the Integrity of Elections?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: How Can Voters and Campaigns Find Information About Helping to Strengthen Electoral System?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What Should an Oregonian Do If They Believe Someone Has Violated Their Voting Rights?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: Are You Concerned About the Impact That Russia or Other Countries May Have on 2020 Elections?