FBI Honors Intern Profile: Anne, Laboratory Division
Anne shares her experience working as an honors intern with the FBI's Laboratory Division.
Anne: I think that someone should apply to the FBI because you can do stuff that you won't be able to do anywhere else.
So, as a forensic scientist, legally, we're not allowed to work on casework, so if you ever try to intern, you would just be doing, you know, whatever—but here at the FBI, I can do the exact same methods that actual examiners do. So, I get practical experience, and I can also see what the examiners do every day. So I can see if that's what I like, if what it's not, and what other people in other units are doing, as well.
I have been able to use my biology and chemistry a lot in the Lab, but I've also been able to learn career goals that I didn't even know that I had, because you can't learn about latent prints in school, really. It's something you learn on-site.
My advice to a future intern would just be to be patient and to be open throughout the whole process, because you're gonna feel like things aren't moving fast enough, but you learn a lot in the application and also when you get here—you learn a lot about the FBI, you learn a lot about the subject matter you're learning about, and you learn a lot about yourself. So just be ready for a lot of learning and a lot of growing.
Working at the FBI has, like, blown my mind, and so I thought that I thought it was going to be cool no matter what, but here I feel like I can be a part of the team and a part of contributing to the mission, and the examiners want to hear what I'm doing and my results, and they also want to make sure that I succeed and I learn while I'm here. So, it's been an amazing experience.
- 11.15.2019 — What is an #UnexpectedAgent?
- 11.15.2019 — #UnexpectedAgents: Life Experiences
- 11.15.2019 — Female Special Agents at the FBI
- 11.15.2019 — FBI Special Agents Protecting our Communities
- 11.15.2019 — FBI Special Agent Fitness
- 11.15.2019 — FBI Special Agent Culture and Community
- 11.15.2019 — #UnexpectedAgent: Special Agent Sussana Iljazi
- 11.15.2019 — #UnexpectedAgent: Special Agent Scot Huntsberry
- 11.15.2019 — #UnexpectedAgent: Special Agent Marlo Graham
- 11.08.2019 — Native American Students Learn About FBI STEM Careers
- 11.08.2019 — Applying STEM at the FBI
- 11.08.2019 — STEM at the FBI Laboratory Division
- 11.07.2019 — Inside the FBI's National Threat Operations Center
- 11.07.2019 — My Positive Huntsville
- 11.07.2019 — My Phenomenal Huntsville
- 10.23.2019 — Seeking Fugitive Ricardo Rusan for Suspected Role in Bank Robberies
- 10.23.2019 — FBI Director Discusses Protected Voices Initiative
- 10.23.2019 — Protected Voices: Social Media Literacy
- 10.23.2019 — Protected Voices: Ransomware
- 10.23.2019 — Protected Voices: Supply Chain