FBI Honors Intern Profile: Anne, Laboratory Division
Anne shares her experience working as an honors intern with the FBI's Laboratory Division.
Anne: I think that someone should apply to the FBI because you can do stuff that you won't be able to do anywhere else.
So, as a forensic scientist, legally, we're not allowed to work on casework, so if you ever try to intern, you would just be doing, you know, whatever—but here at the FBI, I can do the exact same methods that actual examiners do. So, I get practical experience, and I can also see what the examiners do every day. So I can see if that's what I like, if what it's not, and what other people in other units are doing, as well.
I have been able to use my biology and chemistry a lot in the Lab, but I've also been able to learn career goals that I didn't even know that I had, because you can't learn about latent prints in school, really. It's something you learn on-site.
My advice to a future intern would just be to be patient and to be open throughout the whole process, because you're gonna feel like things aren't moving fast enough, but you learn a lot in the application and also when you get here—you learn a lot about the FBI, you learn a lot about the subject matter you're learning about, and you learn a lot about yourself. So just be ready for a lot of learning and a lot of growing.
Working at the FBI has, like, blown my mind, and so I thought that I thought it was going to be cool no matter what, but here I feel like I can be a part of the team and a part of contributing to the mission, and the examiners want to hear what I'm doing and my results, and they also want to make sure that I succeed and I learn while I'm here. So, it's been an amazing experience.
- 09.17.2020 — New Charges, Plea Deals in SF City Hall Corruption Investigation
- 09.17.2020 — FBI Charlotte Honors Interns Talk About Their Experiences
- 09.17.2020 — Director Wray Voices Support for Police During House Testimony
- 09.16.2020 — Director Wray Addresses CISA Cybersecurity Summit
- 08.26.2020 — FBI Portland Issues Statement on Unrest and Requests Public Tips
- 08.21.2020 — Seeking Information in Pharmaceutical Robberies in Maryland and Pennsylvania
- 08.21.2020 — FBI Kansas City - 100th Anniversary
- 08.21.2020 — Seeking Missing 21-Year-Old Mother; $10,000 Reward for Information
- 08.20.2020 — FBI Statement on the Charging of Former Uber CSO for Covering Up 2016 Hack
- 08.20.2020 — Seeking Information in Kansas City Mobile Phone Store Robberies
- 08.14.2020 — FBI Cincinnati Remembers Special Agent Nelson B. Klein
- 08.14.2020 — FBI San Francisco Announces Arrest of Alleged Murder Suspect
- 08.12.2020 — Central Records Complex Opens to House FBI Files
- 08.06.2020 — FBI Boston: Vandalism and Arson of a Providence Police Department Cruiser
- 08.05.2020 — FBI Cleveland: CVS Robbery Surveillance Footage
- 07.31.2020 — FBI San Francisco Remarks on Twitter Security Incident Investigation
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Examining Evidence
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Student on Boat
- 07.22.2020 — Post-Blast Training Boat Wake Loop
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Diver Enters Water