FBI Honors Intern Profile: Anne, Laboratory Division
Anne shares her experience working as an honors intern with the FBI's Laboratory Division.
Anne: I think that someone should apply to the FBI because you can do stuff that you won't be able to do anywhere else.
So, as a forensic scientist, legally, we're not allowed to work on casework, so if you ever try to intern, you would just be doing, you know, whatever—but here at the FBI, I can do the exact same methods that actual examiners do. So, I get practical experience, and I can also see what the examiners do every day. So I can see if that's what I like, if what it's not, and what other people in other units are doing, as well.
I have been able to use my biology and chemistry a lot in the Lab, but I've also been able to learn career goals that I didn't even know that I had, because you can't learn about latent prints in school, really. It's something you learn on-site.
My advice to a future intern would just be to be patient and to be open throughout the whole process, because you're gonna feel like things aren't moving fast enough, but you learn a lot in the application and also when you get here—you learn a lot about the FBI, you learn a lot about the subject matter you're learning about, and you learn a lot about yourself. So just be ready for a lot of learning and a lot of growing.
Working at the FBI has, like, blown my mind, and so I thought that I thought it was going to be cool no matter what, but here I feel like I can be a part of the team and a part of contributing to the mission, and the examiners want to hear what I'm doing and my results, and they also want to make sure that I succeed and I learn while I'm here. So, it's been an amazing experience.
- 01.12.2022 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Fighting Violent Crime
- 12.21.2021 — FBI Seattle Warns About Ransomware
- 12.20.2021 — Stay Cybersecure This Holiday Season
- 12.07.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Shares Tips to Avoid Holiday Scams
- 12.06.2021 — Consumer Shares Their Holiday Shopping Scam Experience
- 12.02.2021 — Victim of Romance Scam Who Became Money Mule Tells Story
- 11.23.2021 — Citizens Academy Alumni Association President Reflects on Organization's Role
- 11.22.2021 — Karen Corrigan Describes Role of FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association
- 11.19.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns About Holiday Scams
- 11.18.2021 — Iranian Nationals Charged with Interfering in 2020 U.S. Presidential Election
- 11.16.2021 — Sister of Missing Woman Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Disappearance
- 11.16.2021 — Mother of Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Daughter's Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Inside the FBI: Health Care Fraud
- 11.15.2021 — Friend of Missing Person John Tran Seeks Clues in Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Missing Person: John Bui Tran
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.29.2021 — Inside the FBI Podcast: UFOs
- 10.29.2021 — FBI New Haven: Help Stop Hate Crimes
- 10.26.2021 — FBI and Partners Target Online Drug Markets