FBI Honors Intern Profile: Anne, Laboratory Division
Anne shares her experience working as an honors intern with the FBI's Laboratory Division.
Anne: I think that someone should apply to the FBI because you can do stuff that you won't be able to do anywhere else.
So, as a forensic scientist, legally, we're not allowed to work on casework, so if you ever try to intern, you would just be doing, you know, whatever—but here at the FBI, I can do the exact same methods that actual examiners do. So, I get practical experience, and I can also see what the examiners do every day. So I can see if that's what I like, if what it's not, and what other people in other units are doing, as well.
I have been able to use my biology and chemistry a lot in the Lab, but I've also been able to learn career goals that I didn't even know that I had, because you can't learn about latent prints in school, really. It's something you learn on-site.
My advice to a future intern would just be to be patient and to be open throughout the whole process, because you're gonna feel like things aren't moving fast enough, but you learn a lot in the application and also when you get here—you learn a lot about the FBI, you learn a lot about the subject matter you're learning about, and you learn a lot about yourself. So just be ready for a lot of learning and a lot of growing.
Working at the FBI has, like, blown my mind, and so I thought that I thought it was going to be cool no matter what, but here I feel like I can be a part of the team and a part of contributing to the mission, and the examiners want to hear what I'm doing and my results, and they also want to make sure that I succeed and I learn while I'm here. So, it's been an amazing experience.
- 04.07.2020 — Seeking Information in New Mexico Missing Child Case
- 03.25.2020 — FBI Special Agents: What Will Your Impact Be?
- 03.19.2020 — Director Wray Updates Workforce on COVID-19
- 02.14.2020 — Asha Degree Age-Progression by National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
- 02.14.2020 — Reward Sign for Asha Degree Near Shelby, N.C.
- 02.14.2020 — Seeking Clues in Asha Degree's Disappearance 20 Years Ago
- 02.07.2020 — FBI Atlanta Family Dollar Robber Surveillance (1 of 4)
- 02.07.2020 — FBI Little Rock Jerry Stuart Death Investigation Surveillance Video (2 of 3)
- 02.07.2020 — FBI Little Rock Jerry Stuart Death Investigation Surveillance Video (3 of 3)
- 02.07.2020 — FBI Little Rock Jerry Stuart Death Investigation Surveillance Video (1 of 3)
- 02.06.2020 — FBI Partnerships and the Office of Private Sector (60 Seconds)
- 01.31.2020 — FBI Partnerships and the Office of Private Sector
- 12.23.2019 — FBI Visits Children's Hospital in Knoxville
- 12.02.2019 — Wanted by the FBI: Jehad Serwan Mostafa
- 12.02.2019 — Sylvia es una víctima de la MS-13
- 11.19.2019 — 100 Years of African-American Special Agents: Aaron LaSure
- 11.19.2019 — 100 Years of African-American Special Agents: Julian Stackhaus
- 11.19.2019 — 100 Years of African-American Special Agents: Jermicha Fomby
- 11.19.2019 — 100 Years of African-American Special Agents: Eric Jackson
- 11.19.2019 — 100 Years of African-American Special Agents: Nicole Dunn