FBI Honors Intern Profile: McKinley, Counterintelligence Division
McKinley shares her experience working as an honors intern in the FBI's Counterintelligence Division.
McKinley: My major is industrial systems engineering, and so, it's not directly the same, but I think it's really helped a lot because a lot of the critical thinking skills apply to what I'm doing here, and so that's been really neat just to kind of get to challenge myself and see how can I apply what I'm learning in school to what I'm doing here. And so, I've gotten to work on a lot of really cool projects with really cool people, so it's been a productive summer, I would say.
All the people I've been working with are amazing and super nice, and they've just given me projects that have challenged me but have also been really doable, and so I've gotten to apply a lot of things I've been learning at school and just critical thinking skills, and so it's been a really cool internship. Glad I did it.
I know it can be just a bit much to step into a brand new internship and where you might not know a lot of people and you kind of might not know what you're doing at first, but I think it's important just to be confident and being comfortable and ask for new projects if you don't have anything to do and ask for help if you need it and just to get to know the people around you, because they're there to help you and to help you learn.
I think if you're considering applying for the internship, and just looking in to, I think you should absolutely do it—because why not at least give it a shot? And you have no idea if you're gonna really like it or not, and there's just so many different opportunities within the Bureau that you can do that I honestly wasn't even aware of until I came here, and so I think it opens a lot of doors, and you just, you never know until you try. And so I say go for it.
- 09.17.2020 — New Charges, Plea Deals in SF City Hall Corruption Investigation
- 09.17.2020 — FBI Charlotte Honors Interns Talk About Their Experiences
- 09.17.2020 — Director Wray Voices Support for Police During House Testimony
- 09.16.2020 — Director Wray Addresses CISA Cybersecurity Summit
- 08.26.2020 — FBI Portland Issues Statement on Unrest and Requests Public Tips
- 08.21.2020 — Seeking Information in Pharmaceutical Robberies in Maryland and Pennsylvania
- 08.21.2020 — FBI Kansas City - 100th Anniversary
- 08.21.2020 — Seeking Missing 21-Year-Old Mother; $10,000 Reward for Information
- 08.20.2020 — FBI Statement on the Charging of Former Uber CSO for Covering Up 2016 Hack
- 08.20.2020 — Seeking Information in Kansas City Mobile Phone Store Robberies
- 08.14.2020 — FBI Cincinnati Remembers Special Agent Nelson B. Klein
- 08.14.2020 — FBI San Francisco Announces Arrest of Alleged Murder Suspect
- 08.12.2020 — Central Records Complex Opens to House FBI Files
- 08.06.2020 — FBI Boston: Vandalism and Arson of a Providence Police Department Cruiser
- 08.05.2020 — FBI Cleveland: CVS Robbery Surveillance Footage
- 07.31.2020 — FBI San Francisco Remarks on Twitter Security Incident Investigation
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Examining Evidence
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Student on Boat
- 07.22.2020 — Post-Blast Training Boat Wake Loop
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Diver Enters Water