Red Flag Fraud Signs, Part 5
FBI Charlotte Supervisory Special Agent Brian Cyprian educates families how the devices that make our lives more convenient can put our cyber security at risk. He highlights some of the red flags all types of scams have in common.
My name is Brian Cyprian, I’m the supervisor for the Charlotte Cyber Squad.
Technology is constantly changing and we find ourselves relying upon it a lot more nowadays. From our digital devices to interconnected devices in our home, laptops, various computers, these things provide great convenience for us, however they provide opportunities for scammers.
Now the technology has changed, but many of the red flags haven’t. Today, I’d like to share some of those red flags with you. Payments offered in amounts higher than the listed price. Many times scammers use email addresses that are disguised and appear to be legitimate, but they’re not. Unsolicited emails, texts, or any requests for your username and passwords.
And as always, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Please report any crimes to ic3.gov
- 01.25.2022 — FBI Phoenix Tech Tuesday: Cyber Hygiene
- 01.12.2022 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Fighting Violent Crime
- 12.21.2021 — FBI Seattle Warns About Ransomware
- 12.20.2021 — Stay Cybersecure This Holiday Season
- 12.07.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Shares Tips to Avoid Holiday Scams
- 12.06.2021 — Consumer Shares Their Holiday Shopping Scam Experience
- 12.02.2021 — Victim of Romance Scam Who Became Money Mule Tells Story
- 11.23.2021 — Citizens Academy Alumni Association President Reflects on Organization's Role
- 11.22.2021 — Karen Corrigan Describes Role of FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association
- 11.19.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns About Holiday Scams
- 11.18.2021 — Iranian Nationals Charged with Interfering in 2020 U.S. Presidential Election
- 11.16.2021 — Sister of Missing Woman Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Disappearance
- 11.16.2021 — Mother of Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Daughter's Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Inside the FBI: Health Care Fraud
- 11.15.2021 — Friend of Missing Person John Tran Seeks Clues in Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Missing Person: John Bui Tran
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.29.2021 — Inside the FBI Podcast: UFOs
- 10.29.2021 — FBI New Haven: Help Stop Hate Crimes