Red Flag Fraud Signs, Part 4
FBI Charlotte Supervisory Special Agent Brian Cyprian educates families how the devices that make our lives more convenient can put our cyber security at risk. He highlights some of the red flags all types of scams have in common.
My name is Brian Cyprian, I’m a supervisor for the Charlotte Cyber Squad.
We constantly see things changing, especially with scams. One thing that doesn’t change are the red flags associated with them.
This is going to be a conversation about some things to look out for. If you take a moment to think about things that you constantly rely upon, your cell phone, your smart devices, your computer, even some devices connected to your home, you’re potentially exposed. These things provide convenience to you, however many scammers are looking to exploit them.
Some things to be on the look out for, requests payment via gift cards, wire transfers, or virtual currency. Anything that creates a sense of urgency or deadline to pay quickly. Something demands secrecy from you or poor grammar or misspellings. And as always, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to make a report, please report that to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov
- 10.26.2021 — FBI and Partners Target Online Drug Markets
- 10.21.2021 — Cybersecurity Awareness Month: What is Ransomware?
- 10.21.2021 — Cybersecurity Awareness Month: Steps to Protect Yourself
- 10.21.2021 — Cybersecurity Awareness Month: What is Cryptocurrency?
- 10.21.2021 — Cybersecurity Awareness Month: What to Know About Common Scams
- 10.18.2021 — FBI Jacksonville and NASCAR Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.18.2021 — FBI Tampa Seeking Capitol Breach Fugitive Jonathan Pollock
- 10.18.2021 — FBI Jacksonville and NASCAR Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 10.18.2021 — Sister Seeks Answers in Robin Shea's Murder 40 Years Ago
- 10.18.2021 — Wanted By the FBI: Andrew Peter Dabbs
- 10.17.2021 — FBI Director Wray Remarks for National Police Week 2021
- 10.15.2021 — Director Wray Lays Wreath at FBI Headquarters
- 10.14.2021 — Wanted By the FBI: Michael James Pratt
- 10.12.2021 — FBI Tampa and Raymond James Financial Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 10.12.2021 — FBI Tampa and Raymond James Financial Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.06.2021 — FBI Seattle 2021 Police Week Message
- 10.05.2021 — Evidence Response Training: Cyanoacrylate Fuming
- 10.05.2021 — Evidence Response Training: Fingerprinting
- 10.05.2021 — Evidence Response Training: Final Exercise
- 10.01.2021 — FBI Dallas and Ross Perot Jr. Describe Cybersecurity Partnership