Red Flag Fraud Signs, Part 4
FBI Charlotte Supervisory Special Agent Brian Cyprian educates families how the devices that make our lives more convenient can put our cyber security at risk. He highlights some of the red flags all types of scams have in common.
My name is Brian Cyprian, I’m a supervisor for the Charlotte Cyber Squad.
We constantly see things changing, especially with scams. One thing that doesn’t change are the red flags associated with them.
This is going to be a conversation about some things to look out for. If you take a moment to think about things that you constantly rely upon, your cell phone, your smart devices, your computer, even some devices connected to your home, you’re potentially exposed. These things provide convenience to you, however many scammers are looking to exploit them.
Some things to be on the look out for, requests payment via gift cards, wire transfers, or virtual currency. Anything that creates a sense of urgency or deadline to pay quickly. Something demands secrecy from you or poor grammar or misspellings. And as always, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to make a report, please report that to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov
- 01.16.2023 — FBI Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest in Unsolved Murders
- 01.13.2023 — Section Chief Jose Perez on Violent Crime Operations
- 01.12.2023 — Sextortion PSA – Salt Lake City
- 01.10.2023 — Madalina Cojocari Missing Person's Vodcast
- 12.29.2022 — FBI Atlanta: Surveillance in Ebenezer Baptist Church Vandalism Investigation
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
- 11.14.2022 — FBI Buffalo: Surveillance in CompassCare Arson Investigation
- 11.11.2022 — Little Rock B-Roll 110922
- 11.07.2022 — FBI and Wounded Warrior Regiment Connect for Career and Fitness Event
- 10.25.2022 — FBI Honolulu and Bank of Guam Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Short)
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Long)
- 10.03.2022 — FBI Dallas Continues Hate Crime Awareness Efforts
- 09.16.2022 — FBI Minneapolis Seeks Public’s Help in Identifying Person of Interest in South Dakota Homicide
- 09.14.2022 — Director Wray Addresses Recent Cyber Activity
- 09.12.2022 — Violent Crime Takedown B-Roll