100 Years of African-American Special Agents: Jacques Battiste
Retired Special Agent Jacques Battiste served for 22 years in the FBI before retiring in 2017. He shared his thoughts on his career, the FBI, and the role of African Americans during events in November 2019 marking the 100-year anniversary of the first African-American special agent, James Wormley Jones.
I had the opportunity as a child to watch a TV show called The FBI Story. It was an episode where an actor by the name of a young Richard Roundtree played the first FBI agent to appear. Inspector Erskine worked with him on the episode, and he had to basically get the rest of the individuals in the office to understand that there was no difference between this young man and the rest of the agents when it came time to do their jobs.
To me personally, to be able to stand in a room with other fellow African-American agents, both male and female, and know that I play a part of a legacy that began in 1919 with the very first special agent, I'm honored. I'm truly honored from the very core of my being.
It's important because as the socioeconomics continue to change in this country and in the world, it is important to have people who come from the same cultures that this country was made upon. African Americans have played a significant role in the development of this country, and the continuing perpetuance of this country.
It is only right that we share in the history of this country by being trendsetters, leaders, and forerunners, and helping to keep this country's constitution in place and to help keep this country safe against foreign and domestic invaders. We deserve every opportunity in our place in history, not only because of the 400-plus years that have happened in the past, but because of the legacy that we have to continue to perpetuate excellence in this country.
- 06.11.2020 — Help Identify Subject Who Threw Explosive in Uptown Charlotte
- 06.04.2020 — Director Wray’s Remarks Regarding George Floyd’s Death and FBI Role in Current Events
- 06.01.2020 — FBI Pittsburgh Congratulates Penguins Foundation
- 05.28.2020 — Inside the FBI Podcast: IC3 Turns 20
- 05.21.2020 — FBI Phoenix Joins Arizona Law Enforcement Leaders in Honoring the Fallen
- 05.21.2020 — FBI Sacramento SAC Congratulates Fairfield Police Chief
- 05.18.2020 — 2020 Police Week FBI Chicago Candlelight Vigil
- 05.15.2020 — FBI Dallas Honors Fallen Agents in National Police Week Message
- 05.15.2020 — FBI Honolulu COVID-19 Public Service Announcement
- 05.15.2020 — FBI San Diego Honors Fallen Officers During National Police Week
- 05.15.2020 — FBI New Orleans Recognizes Peace Officers Memorial Day
- 05.14.2020 — 2020 FBI Wall of Honor Memorial Service
- 05.14.2020 — Director Wray Honors Law Enforcement Partners During National Police Week
- 05.11.2020 — Minneapolis FBI Honors Fallen Agents in National Police Week Message
- 05.08.2020 — Jacksonville SAC Congratulates High School Graduates
- 05.08.2020 — Seattle FBI Recognizes Fallen Officers in Police Week Message
- 05.04.2020 — FBI Dallas COVID-19 Public Service Announcement
- 04.30.2020 — Inside the FBI Podcast Trailer: FBI Top Ten List Turns 70
- 04.30.2020 — FBI Jacksonville Honors Director's Community Leadership Award Recipient
- 04.29.2020 — FBI Volunteers Assist Families in Philadelphia