100 Years of African-American Special Agents: Eric Jackson
Retired Special Agent Eric Jackson served for 21 years in the FBI before retiring as special agent in charge of the Dallas Field Office. He shared his thoughts on his career, the FBI, and the role of African Americans during events in November 2019 marking the 100-year anniversary of the first African-American special agent, James Wormley Jones.
Going into the Academy, I was the only African-American agent candidate in my Academy class. It was difficult, because I felt alone many times. I felt that I was not included into some of the groups that have formed during that. So, it was a lonely experience. And coming out of the Academy, I went to the Tampa Field Office and I was one of the second African-American new agents that had been sent to Tampa, and we formed a lifelong friendship based on that.
But one of the things that happened that let me know that it was going to be okay, there was a senior agent, African American, who was in the office who never spoke to me when I saw him. And I would walk past him and never said a word to me. And then one day, about six months into that tour, this gentleman sat down and talked to me and introduced himself and his name was Jim Barrow.
Jim Barrow was one of the original agents that went to the Academy. And he sat down and talked to me. And he told me the reason he wanted to wait to talk to me was he wants to see what type of agent I was going to be, what type of person I was. And he sat down and told me his life story, what happened when Director Hoover chose him to go to the Academy as one of the first African Americans, and the life he led.
And that gave me pause to think that there are people who have gone through a lot prior to me and they survived and that I was going to survive. And until the day I left Tampa, Mr. Barrow was not only a great mentor, he was just a great person, a great example. And I appreciated the fact of how he introduced himself to me and not that he allowed himself to be a crutch to me. So, it was a great opportunity.
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Alex Silverstein
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Justin Brannon
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Lauren Regucci
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent in Charge Sherri Onks
- 03.03.2023 — FBI Pittsburgh joint operation_03032023
- 02.09.2023 — Chinese High-Altitude Balloon Recovery
- 02.06.2023 — Inside The FBI Podcast: For The Love Of Money
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Romance Scams (2021 Rerelease)
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Submitting Tips to the Bureau
- 01.31.2023 — FBI Seattle Discusses Myths of Human Trafficking
- 01.16.2023 — FBI Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest in Unsolved Murders
- 01.13.2023 — Section Chief Jose Perez on Violent Crime Operations
- 01.12.2023 — Sextortion PSA – Salt Lake City
- 01.10.2023 — Madalina Cojocari Missing Person's Vodcast
- 12.29.2022 — FBI Atlanta: Surveillance in Ebenezer Baptist Church Vandalism Investigation
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
FBI Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to our email newsletter for news on the FBI, sent out every week.