FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Shopping Scams
The holiday season is the busiest time of the year for on-line shopping. It’s also the busy season for on-line criminals. FBI Omaha Division Assistant Special Agent in Charge Phil Lenz offers some safe shopping strategies.
Hi, I’m Phil Lenz, FBI Omaha assistant special agent in charge. Online holiday shopping is in full swing and criminals are gearing up for a busy season.
Scammers often offer too-good-to-be-true deals via phishing emails or advertisements.
As consumers, avoid untrustworthy sites or ads offering items at unrealistic discounts. Check the URL; instead of dot-com, fraudulent websites may use dot-club or dot-top.
Also, look for https in the URL before entering your credit card information. You can also research the websites for reviews and complaints.
And routinely check your credit card statements. If you can, set up credit card transaction alerts.
Being proactive as you shop online will protect your wallet and keep your holiday stress at bay.
For more tips on how to protect yourself, go to fbi.gov. If you think you have been a victim of on-line fraud, call the FBI Omaha Field Office. Thank You.
- 01.27.2021 — FBI Pittsburgh Hosts Substance Abuse Discussion
- 01.26.2021 — Trailer: FBI Pittsburgh Hosts Substance Abuse Discussion
- 01.15.2021 — FBI San Francisco Field Office Message on Protecting Communities
- 01.12.2021 — Vodcast: Wanted by the FBI - Hung Tien Pham
- 12.31.2020 — FBI Washington Field Office Warns the Public About Reshipping Scams
- 12.31.2020 — FBI Washington Field Office Warns the Public About Work From Home Scams
- 12.31.2020 — FBI Washington Field Office Warns Consumers About Gift Card Scams
- 12.22.2020 — Be Aware of Online Shopping Scams this Holiday Season
- 12.21.2020 — FBI Special Agent in Charge Craig Fair announces reward in San Francisco church arson
- 12.16.2020 — FBI Pittsburgh Highlights Teen Academy
- 12.16.2020 — Luis Quesada: Felices Fiestas
- 12.16.2020 — FBI El Paso Holiday Message
- 12.09.2020 — Seeking Information on Man Who Fired Rifle at Chicago Metra Stop
- 12.03.2020 — FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Social Media Scams
- 12.03.2020 — FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Charity Scams
- 11.18.2020 — Highlights from Director Wray's Remarks at World Economic Forum Annual Meeting on Cybersecurity
- 11.18.2020 — FBI San Diego Thanksgiving Message
- 11.13.2020 — Remarks by Sanjay Virmani About IRGC Covert Influence Campaign
- 11.10.2020 — FBI Tampa Veterans Day Message