FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Charity Scams
Many of us are planning for our end-of-the-year charitable giving. Before you hit the donate button, FBI Omaha Assistant Special Agent in Charge Paula Ebersole shares some strategies to keep your money safe.
I’m FBI Omaha assistant special agent in charge Paula Ebersole.
For many the holiday season is a time to contribute to a good cause.
It is also a time we see an increase in charity-related fraud. Doing a little research upfront will ensure sure your donation goes to a legitimate charity.
Charity scams are set up and designed to make it easy for victims to donate money and believe they are making a difference.
Before you give, keep in mind legitimate charities do not solicit donations via money transfer services, nor do they ask for donations via gift cards.
If you are not familiar with a charity, search the name plus the words “complaint” or “rating”.
Beware of organizations with copycat names similar to reputable charities. Most reputable charity websites use dot-org not dot-com.
Finally, make contributions directly, and not through an intermediary. Pay via credit card or check; avoid cash donations.
Doing some research and planning will ensure your donation goes to where you intended and not into the pockets of a scammer.
For more information on how to protect yourself, visit fbi.gov. If you believe you have been a victim of charity-related fraud, contact FBI Omaha.
- 01.12.2022 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Fighting Violent Crime
- 12.21.2021 — FBI Seattle Warns About Ransomware
- 12.20.2021 — Stay Cybersecure This Holiday Season
- 12.07.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Shares Tips to Avoid Holiday Scams
- 12.06.2021 — Consumer Shares Their Holiday Shopping Scam Experience
- 12.02.2021 — Victim of Romance Scam Who Became Money Mule Tells Story
- 11.23.2021 — Citizens Academy Alumni Association President Reflects on Organization's Role
- 11.22.2021 — Karen Corrigan Describes Role of FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association
- 11.19.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns About Holiday Scams
- 11.18.2021 — Iranian Nationals Charged with Interfering in 2020 U.S. Presidential Election
- 11.16.2021 — Sister of Missing Woman Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Disappearance
- 11.16.2021 — Mother of Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Daughter's Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Inside the FBI: Health Care Fraud
- 11.15.2021 — Friend of Missing Person John Tran Seeks Clues in Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Missing Person: John Bui Tran
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.29.2021 — Inside the FBI Podcast: UFOs
- 10.29.2021 — FBI New Haven: Help Stop Hate Crimes
- 10.26.2021 — FBI and Partners Target Online Drug Markets