FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Charity Scams
Many of us are planning for our end-of-the-year charitable giving. Before you hit the donate button, FBI Omaha Assistant Special Agent in Charge Paula Ebersole shares some strategies to keep your money safe.
I’m FBI Omaha assistant special agent in charge Paula Ebersole.
For many the holiday season is a time to contribute to a good cause.
It is also a time we see an increase in charity-related fraud. Doing a little research upfront will ensure sure your donation goes to a legitimate charity.
Charity scams are set up and designed to make it easy for victims to donate money and believe they are making a difference.
Before you give, keep in mind legitimate charities do not solicit donations via money transfer services, nor do they ask for donations via gift cards.
If you are not familiar with a charity, search the name plus the words “complaint” or “rating”.
Beware of organizations with copycat names similar to reputable charities. Most reputable charity websites use dot-org not dot-com.
Finally, make contributions directly, and not through an intermediary. Pay via credit card or check; avoid cash donations.
Doing some research and planning will ensure your donation goes to where you intended and not into the pockets of a scammer.
For more information on how to protect yourself, visit fbi.gov. If you believe you have been a victim of charity-related fraud, contact FBI Omaha.
- 06.30.2022 — Ruja Ignatova Promotes OneCoin at London Event
- 06.29.2022 — FBI and National Center for Missing & Exploited Children Sextortion PSA
- 06.14.2022 — Footage from Charlotte, North Carolina, Mass Shooting on June 22, 2020
- 05.17.2022 — Domestic Security Alliance Council
- 05.11.2022 — National Senior Fraud Awareness Day
- 05.10.2022 — Director Wray's 2022 National Police Week Address
- 04.28.2022 — National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month PSA (FBI Los Angeles)
- 04.28.2022 — FBI Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Promotional Video
- 04.18.2022 — Missouri Bomb Task Force Renders Safe a Cannonball
- 04.05.2022 — Former Director William Webster Offers Warning About Elder Fraud
- 03.29.2022 — FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Oregon Cyber Task Force
- 03.29.2022 — FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Regional Computer Forensics Lab
- 03.29.2022 — FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Cyber Special Agent
- 03.07.2022 — Made in Beijing: The Plan for Global Market Domination
- 03.02.2022 — FBI Pittsburgh Highlights Teen Academy
- 03.01.2022 — HRT Mobility Team - Fast Boat
- 03.01.2022 — HRT Mobility Team - Night Vision Goggles
- 02.28.2022 — FBI Rochester Hate Crimes PSA
- 02.28.2022 — FBI Buffalo & FBI Rochester Hate Crimes PSA
- 02.28.2022 — FBI Buffalo Hate Crimes PSA