FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Charity Scams
Many of us are planning for our end-of-the-year charitable giving. Before you hit the donate button, FBI Omaha Assistant Special Agent in Charge Paula Ebersole shares some strategies to keep your money safe.
I’m FBI Omaha assistant special agent in charge Paula Ebersole.
For many the holiday season is a time to contribute to a good cause.
It is also a time we see an increase in charity-related fraud. Doing a little research upfront will ensure sure your donation goes to a legitimate charity.
Charity scams are set up and designed to make it easy for victims to donate money and believe they are making a difference.
Before you give, keep in mind legitimate charities do not solicit donations via money transfer services, nor do they ask for donations via gift cards.
If you are not familiar with a charity, search the name plus the words “complaint” or “rating”.
Beware of organizations with copycat names similar to reputable charities. Most reputable charity websites use dot-org not dot-com.
Finally, make contributions directly, and not through an intermediary. Pay via credit card or check; avoid cash donations.
Doing some research and planning will ensure your donation goes to where you intended and not into the pockets of a scammer.
For more information on how to protect yourself, visit fbi.gov. If you believe you have been a victim of charity-related fraud, contact FBI Omaha.
- 01.15.2021 — FBI San Francisco Field Office Message on Protecting Communities
- 01.12.2021 — Vodcast: Wanted by the FBI - Hung Tien Pham
- 12.31.2020 — FBI Washington Field Office Warns the Public About Reshipping Scams
- 12.31.2020 — FBI Washington Field Office Warns the Public About Work From Home Scams
- 12.31.2020 — FBI Washington Field Office Warns Consumers About Gift Card Scams
- 12.22.2020 — Be Aware of Online Shopping Scams this Holiday Season
- 12.21.2020 — FBI Special Agent in Charge Craig Fair announces reward in San Francisco church arson
- 12.16.2020 — FBI Pittsburgh Highlights Teen Academy
- 12.16.2020 — Luis Quesada: Felices Fiestas
- 12.16.2020 — FBI El Paso Holiday Message
- 12.09.2020 — Seeking Information on Man Who Fired Rifle at Chicago Metra Stop
- 12.03.2020 — FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Shopping Scams
- 12.03.2020 — FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Social Media Scams
- 11.18.2020 — Highlights from Director Wray's Remarks at World Economic Forum Annual Meeting on Cybersecurity
- 11.18.2020 — FBI San Diego Thanksgiving Message
- 11.13.2020 — Remarks by Sanjay Virmani About IRGC Covert Influence Campaign
- 11.10.2020 — FBI Tampa Veterans Day Message
- 11.02.2020 — FBI Buffalo and U.S. Attorney Remarks on Integrity and Security of Elections
- 10.23.2020 — Zach Gusé: I Wanted to Let the Light In