FBI Omaha Offers Strategies to Beat Charity Scams
Many of us are planning for our end-of-the-year charitable giving. Before you hit the donate button, FBI Omaha Assistant Special Agent in Charge Paula Ebersole shares some strategies to keep your money safe.
I’m FBI Omaha assistant special agent in charge Paula Ebersole.
For many the holiday season is a time to contribute to a good cause.
It is also a time we see an increase in charity-related fraud. Doing a little research upfront will ensure sure your donation goes to a legitimate charity.
Charity scams are set up and designed to make it easy for victims to donate money and believe they are making a difference.
Before you give, keep in mind legitimate charities do not solicit donations via money transfer services, nor do they ask for donations via gift cards.
If you are not familiar with a charity, search the name plus the words “complaint” or “rating”.
Beware of organizations with copycat names similar to reputable charities. Most reputable charity websites use dot-org not dot-com.
Finally, make contributions directly, and not through an intermediary. Pay via credit card or check; avoid cash donations.
Doing some research and planning will ensure your donation goes to where you intended and not into the pockets of a scammer.
For more information on how to protect yourself, visit fbi.gov. If you believe you have been a victim of charity-related fraud, contact FBI Omaha.
- 12.01.2023 — Inside the FBI: Charity Scams
- 12.01.2023 — FBI Omaha Hate Crime Awareness Campaign
- 11.20.2023 — FBI Charlotte: Bus Video in Madalina Cojocari Missing Person Investigation
- 11.20.2023 — Inside the FBI: The Importance of Partner Engagement
- 11.06.2023 — Chicago Warns About Charity Fraud
- 11.03.2023 — Charlotte Field Office at Beacon Project
- 10.26.2023 — FBI New Orleans hosts Federal Law Enforcement Youth Academy
- 10.26.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The Emerging Technology and Securing Innovation Security Summit
- 10.20.2023 — FBI Oklahoma City on Panel Discussing Osage Murders Case
- 10.19.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The Osage Murders
- 10.17.2023 — Director Wray Discusses the Threat of Chinese Economic Espionage at Five Eyes Press Conference
- 10.17.2023 — Director Wray Discusses Potential Misuses of AI During the FBI's Emerging Technology and Securing Innovation Security Summit
- 10.17.2023 — Director Wray Characterizes the Threat China Poses to Innovation During the FBI's Emerging Technology and Securing Innovation Security Summit
- 10.14.2023 — The FBI Continues to Build Partnerships at IACP
- 09.29.2023 — FBI Phoenix Hosts New Agent Training Program for Indian Country
- 09.29.2023 — Operation Not Forgotten
- 09.28.2023 — Interview with Cindy Valle's Brother
- 09.28.2023 — Interview with Cindy Valle's Mother
- 09.15.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The FBI's Safe Online Surfing Internet Challenge
- 09.09.2023 — Nationals Video 2023