Wanted by the FBI: Josephine Sunshine Overaker
The FBI is offering an up to $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Josephine Sunshine Overaker, an alleged domestic terrorist.
Mollie Halpern: An up to $50,000 reward is available for information leading to the arrest of this woman, alleged domestic terrorist Josephine Sunshine Overaker.
I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau, with Wanted by the FBI.
This is an age-progressed image of what Josephine Overaker would look like these days.
Overaker is wanted for arson and other crimes she committed dating back to 1996 when she was a member of an eco-terrorism cell known as The Family.
The cell acted in the name of extremist groups including the Animal Liberation Front and the Earth Liberation Front.
Special Agent Timothy Suttles…
Timothy Suttles: She was one of the main people to shoplift equipment and devices that they used in these arsons.
Halpern: The crimes spanned five states: Oregon, Washington, California, Colorado, and Wyoming.
Here is a look at one of their crimes in Colorado at the Vail Ski Resort, which remains the largest eco-related arson in history.
Suttles: Josephine Overaker, in committing these crimes, put first responders’ lives in danger as well as causing over $45 million in damages.
Halpern: Josephine Overaker, who is fluent in Spanish, may be living overseas in Spain.
Investigators say she left the United States shortly after Operation Backfire, an FBI-led national takedown 10 years ago this month that resulted in the arrests of some of her co-conspirators.
Overaker may be using an alias such as…
Suttles: She used Lisa Quintana, China, Jo, and Osha.
Halpern: Check out one of Josephine Overaker’s tattoos.
Suttles: A very large bird tattoo that starts on her right shoulder and stretches across her shoulder blades. The color of this tattoo is a dark green, almost black. A lot of feathers.
Halpern: Overaker has facial hair on her upper lip. She is vegan. The alleged arsonist has worked as a firefighter, a midwife, a sheep tender, and a masseuse.
If you have information about this case, report tips to your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.
- 11.18.2020 — Highlights from Director Wray's Remarks at World Economic Forum Annual Meeting on Cybersecurity
- 11.18.2020 — FBI San Diego Thanksgiving Message
- 11.13.2020 — Remarks by Sanjay Virmani About IRGC Covert Influence Campaign
- 11.10.2020 — FBI Tampa Veterans Day Message
- 11.02.2020 — FBI Buffalo and U.S. Attorney Remarks on Integrity and Security of Elections
- 10.23.2020 — Zach Gusé: I Wanted to Let the Light In
- 10.23.2020 — Brent Gillespie: Please Come Forward
- 10.22.2020 — Branson Jernigan: It Seems Like People Have Been Forgetting About Her
- 10.21.2020 — Fresno’s Breaking the Chains Receives FBI Director’s Community Leadership Award
- 10.20.2020 — Kole Gusé: She's Probably Dead
- 10.19.2020 — Melissa Gusé: Damaged Family
- 10.18.2020 — Zach Gusé: I Lost My Mind
- 10.17.2020 — David Kaulk: We May Never See Her Again
- 10.16.2020 — Brad Bilderback: Somebody Knows Something
- 10.15.2020 — Proteger Su Voto
- 10.15.2020 — FBI Pittsburgh Remarks on QQAAZZ Indictment
- 10.15.2020 — Richard Eddy: Witness
- 10.14.2020 — Melissa Gusé: Your Mind Wanders
- 10.13.2020 — Chicago FBI Asks Public to Assist on Election Security
- 10.13.2020 — Zach Gusé: My Whole Body and Soul