Wanted by the FBI: Josephine Sunshine Overaker
The FBI is offering an up to $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Josephine Sunshine Overaker, an alleged domestic terrorist.
Mollie Halpern: An up to $50,000 reward is available for information leading to the arrest of this woman, alleged domestic terrorist Josephine Sunshine Overaker.
I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau, with Wanted by the FBI.
This is an age-progressed image of what Josephine Overaker would look like these days.
Overaker is wanted for arson and other crimes she committed dating back to 1996 when she was a member of an eco-terrorism cell known as The Family.
The cell acted in the name of extremist groups including the Animal Liberation Front and the Earth Liberation Front.
Special Agent Timothy Suttles…
Timothy Suttles: She was one of the main people to shoplift equipment and devices that they used in these arsons.
Halpern: The crimes spanned five states: Oregon, Washington, California, Colorado, and Wyoming.
Here is a look at one of their crimes in Colorado at the Vail Ski Resort, which remains the largest eco-related arson in history.
Suttles: Josephine Overaker, in committing these crimes, put first responders’ lives in danger as well as causing over $45 million in damages.
Halpern: Josephine Overaker, who is fluent in Spanish, may be living overseas in Spain.
Investigators say she left the United States shortly after Operation Backfire, an FBI-led national takedown 10 years ago this month that resulted in the arrests of some of her co-conspirators.
Overaker may be using an alias such as…
Suttles: She used Lisa Quintana, China, Jo, and Osha.
Halpern: Check out one of Josephine Overaker’s tattoos.
Suttles: A very large bird tattoo that starts on her right shoulder and stretches across her shoulder blades. The color of this tattoo is a dark green, almost black. A lot of feathers.
Halpern: Overaker has facial hair on her upper lip. She is vegan. The alleged arsonist has worked as a firefighter, a midwife, a sheep tender, and a masseuse.
If you have information about this case, report tips to your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.
- 01.12.2022 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Fighting Violent Crime
- 12.21.2021 — FBI Seattle Warns About Ransomware
- 12.20.2021 — Stay Cybersecure This Holiday Season
- 12.07.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Shares Tips to Avoid Holiday Scams
- 12.06.2021 — Consumer Shares Their Holiday Shopping Scam Experience
- 12.02.2021 — Victim of Romance Scam Who Became Money Mule Tells Story
- 11.23.2021 — Citizens Academy Alumni Association President Reflects on Organization's Role
- 11.22.2021 — Karen Corrigan Describes Role of FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association
- 11.19.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns About Holiday Scams
- 11.18.2021 — Iranian Nationals Charged with Interfering in 2020 U.S. Presidential Election
- 11.16.2021 — Sister of Missing Woman Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Disappearance
- 11.16.2021 — Mother of Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Daughter's Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Inside the FBI: Health Care Fraud
- 11.15.2021 — Friend of Missing Person John Tran Seeks Clues in Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Missing Person: John Bui Tran
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.29.2021 — Inside the FBI Podcast: UFOs
- 10.29.2021 — FBI New Haven: Help Stop Hate Crimes
- 10.26.2021 — FBI and Partners Target Online Drug Markets