FBI, This Week: Applying Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics at the Bureau
November 8, 2017
As crime continues to evolve in this digital era, the FBI uses innovative science and technology to advance its investigations and stay ahead of threats.
Mollie Halpern: As crime continues to evolve in this digital era, the FBI uses innovative science and technology to advance its investigations and stay ahead of threats.
Amy Hess: There is not a case that happens today that is not in some way impacted by science and technology.
Halpern: That’s Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s Louisville Division Amy Hess, who has a degree in aeronautical and astronautical engineering.
Hess’s career at the FBI provides her with opportunities where she can apply her expertise in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, or STEM.
Hess: One of the highlights of my FBI career was leading the Science and Technology Branch because it really opened my eyes as to how many opportunities we have here for people with STEM backgrounds and how many more we are going to have in the future.
Halpern: Unit Chief Avatar Lefevre says the FBI offers STEM professionals something different than the private sector.
Avatar Lefevre: We’re not working to improve the bottom line, to get the stock higher, you’re working to defend the American people - to either solve a case or preemptively stop a terrorist or intelligence threat. What you’re doing is actually affecting the greater good, the entire nation, and all of its people.
Halpern: Learn more about STEM jobs at the FBI at fbijobs.gov. With FBI, This Week, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau.
- 07.19.2018 — FBI, This Week: Director Wray Speaks at Aspen Security Forum
- 07.19.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Se Lanzó una Iniciativa Nacional Contra la Clonación de Tarjetas
- 07.12.2018 — Se Busca por el FBI: Antwan Mims ha Sido Agregado a la Lista de los Diez Prófugos más Buscados
- 07.12.2018 — FBI, This Week: National Skimming Initiative Launched
- 07.06.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2018 Honors Internship Program