Identity History Summary Checks (Rap Sheets)
For a fee, the FBI can provide you with your Identity History Summary Check, known as a rap sheet.
Get Your Identity History Summary/Rap Sheet (or Proof One Does Not Exist)
Current Processing Time:
- Online Requests - About 3-5 days (after we receive your fingerprint card)
- Mail Requests - About 2-4 weeks
Allow additional time for mail delivery.
The fastest option is to submit your request online, for both Identity History Summary Checks and Identity History Summary Challenges.
1. Complete the Applicant Information Form
Tips for Success:
- If the request is for a couple, family, etc., each person must complete and sign a form.
- Include a complete mailing address.
- Provide your phone number and e-mail address, if available.
- Do not send a self-addressed envelope. This includes pre-paid Priority Mail, FedEx account numbers, United Parcel Service, etc., foreign postage coupons, and requests to forward correspondence to the Department of State for the apostille process.
2. Get Your Fingerprints
Tips for Success:
- Your fingerprints should be placed on a standard fingerprint form (FD-1164). The FBI will accept FD-1164 fingerprint cards on standard white paper stock.
- You must provide a current fingerprint card (not a previously processed one.)
- Your name, date of birth, and signature must be on the fingerprint card.
- You must include rolled impressions of all 10 fingerprints and impressions of all 10 fingerprints taken at the same time (sometimes referred to as plain or flat impressions).
If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at your local police department. The FBI recommends that red or purple ink not be used for fingerprinting.
- We accept fingerprints taken with ink or via live scan. If your fingerprints are taken via a live scan device, get a hard copy, so the fingerprint card can be mailed to the FBI.
- If fingerprints are not legible, the fingerprint card will be rejected. This could cause delays in processing and could also result in additional fees.
- The name on your response letter will match the name indicated on the fingerprint card when your application, payment, and fingerprint card are submitted via the mail.
- If the last four digits of your Social Security number are needed on your response letter, then please ensure the full nine-digits or last four digits of your Social Security number are on the fingerprint card when submitting your request.
- For more information, refer to the Recording Friction Ridges module.
The cost for an Identity History Summary Check (Rap Sheet) is $18 per person. You cannot pay extra for faster service.
You can pay by:
- Credit Card using the Credit Card Payment Form. Don’t forget to include the expiration date of the credit card that you are using.
- Money Order or Certified Check for $18 U.S. dollars made payable to the Treasury of the United States. Sign where required.
Tips for Success:
- Do not pay via cash, personal checks, or business checks. This will delay processing of your request.
- Payment must be for the exact amount.
- If the request is for a couple, family, etc., include $18 for each person.
- You will receive one, sealed response per request. You may make as many copies as you need.
- If you need additional sealed responses mailed to the same address or different addresses, send additional requests with another payment of $18 for as many sealed copies as you need.
- If you are unable to pay the $18 fee, you can request a waiver. The waiver must include a claim and proof of indigence, such as a notarized affidavit of indigence.
4. Review Everything
Review the Identity History Summary Request Checklist to ensure that you have included everything we need to process your request.
5. Mail Your Required Materials
- Signed Applicant Information Form
- Fingerprint Card
- Payment of $18 U.S. dollars per person (use the Credit Card Payment Form if you are paying by credit card)
FBI CJIS Division – Summary Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
6. Receive Your Response
If you do not have an Identity History Summary (rap sheet) on file, you will receive a response by first-class mail via the U.S. Postal Service explaining you have no prior arrest data on file with the FBI.
If you do have an Identity History Summary on file, you will receive your Identity History Summary or rap sheet by first-class mail via the U.S. Postal Service. Your results will be provided on standard white paper.
You may choose to work with an FBI-Approved Channeler—a private business that has contracted with the FBI to submit your request on your behalf. An FBI-Approved Channeler helps speed up the delivery of Identity History Summary Checks (rap sheets) on behalf of the FBI.
How FBI-Approved Channelers Work
- receive your fingerprint submission and relevant data
- collect the fee(s)
- forward your fingerprint submission with the necessary information to the FBI for a national Identity History Summary check
- receive the electronic summary check result and share it with you.
The process for making a request through a channeler is consistent with FBI submission steps. The channeler may have different methods for you to submit your information to them.
You may also have to pay an additional fee to use a channeler. Contact each channeler for costs, processing times, and availability in your area. If you are interested in using a channeler, the channeler can provide you with complete information and instructions.
Find an FBI-Approved Channeler
Restrictions on FBI-Approved Channelers
- An FBI-Approved Channeler may only process requests for a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident.
- An FBI-approved Channeler cannot process a request for employment and/or licensing purposes within the U.S. These requests should be coordinated with the appropriate State Identification Bureau (or state police) for the correct procedures.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 304-625-5590