FBI’s Operation Independence Day Targets Human Trafficking
Atlanta, Houston, and Denver were among the cities that took part in Operation Independence Day, a monthlong nationwide initiative in July 2019 to find human traffickers and rescue their underage victims.
DeKalb County Police Detective: The DeKalb County Vice Unit, which is a part of the FBI MATCH Task Force, will be conducting an Operation Independence Day, which is an ongoing operation for the entire month of July.
The objective of the operation is to identify potential victims—underage females or males—who are forced into sexually explicit activities. The objective also is to rescue, recover, and provide all available resources for the victims who are exploited. So that’s what we are focusing on today.
Jeanette Milazzo, Special Agent, Houston FBI: What you see here specifically related the Houston Field Office is a partnership with the Houston Police Department and the Fort Bend County Precinct 3 Constable’s Office.
We have undercover officers here who are helping us out on various social media sites and escort sites looking for runaways, looking for essentially juveniles who have been posting themselves for commercial sex.
Once they make contact with that juvenile—and sometimes adult victims—then they will make a fake date with them wherein they’ll be intercepted at a predetermined location and brought back to this location where they will be interviewed and then provided services if they so request, and then transported to the hospital for a forensic examination.
We are here to rescue children and we are here to build good cases against traffickers. If we have developed enough rapport with the victim, we will build a case against their trafficker and hopefully charge them in federal court.
Radio Voice: Just make sure we don't have any cars visible in that area.
Radio: We parked on the south side. I’m going to see if we can get him to walk over here.
Radio: He’s almost to our car, so if you want to roll up here, that’s fine.
Victim Specialist: Do they know anything at all about you being online? They know about you being online? Have you been pretty open with them?
Anne Darr, Victim Specialist, Denver FBI: A lot of the operations that we do also include social media operations. And typically what we see is underage minor boys who are engaging in unsafe methods online where they agree to meet for a date in exchange for money or anything of value.
And so it’s important that we intervene and that we provide education, awareness, and resources to them. So that way they don't go back online and could meet somebody who could be an online predator.
Radio Voice: We’re on the south side of 7-Eleven.
Darr: What they essentially are doing is extremely dangerous. You never know who you’re going to meet on the other end. It could be a pimp. It could be an online predator. Somebody that’s going to exploit them, who could essentially rape them, take their money, do whatever to harm them.
So, we want to make sure that we’re intervening and doing that outreach to them.
- 09.17.2020 — New Charges, Plea Deals in SF City Hall Corruption Investigation
- 09.17.2020 — FBI Charlotte Honors Interns Talk About Their Experiences
- 09.17.2020 — Director Wray Voices Support for Police During House Testimony
- 09.16.2020 — Director Wray Addresses CISA Cybersecurity Summit
- 08.26.2020 — FBI Portland Issues Statement on Unrest and Requests Public Tips
- 08.21.2020 — Seeking Information in Pharmaceutical Robberies in Maryland and Pennsylvania
- 08.21.2020 — FBI Kansas City - 100th Anniversary
- 08.21.2020 — Seeking Missing 21-Year-Old Mother; $10,000 Reward for Information
- 08.20.2020 — FBI Statement on the Charging of Former Uber CSO for Covering Up 2016 Hack
- 08.20.2020 — Seeking Information in Kansas City Mobile Phone Store Robberies
- 08.14.2020 — FBI Cincinnati Remembers Special Agent Nelson B. Klein
- 08.14.2020 — FBI San Francisco Announces Arrest of Alleged Murder Suspect
- 08.12.2020 — Central Records Complex Opens to House FBI Files
- 08.06.2020 — FBI Boston: Vandalism and Arson of a Providence Police Department Cruiser
- 08.05.2020 — FBI Cleveland: CVS Robbery Surveillance Footage
- 07.31.2020 — FBI San Francisco Remarks on Twitter Security Incident Investigation
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Examining Evidence
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Student on Boat
- 07.22.2020 — Post-Blast Training Boat Wake Loop
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Diver Enters Water