Counterintelligence Division's Randy Coleman Describes Economic Espionage
Randy Coleman, Assistant Director of the FBI's Counterintelligence Division, describes "The Company Man Protecting America’s Secrets," which dramatizes an American company’s experience as a target of economic espionage.
“Hey, I just found two trespassers taking pictures of the factory.”
“We can’t pretend this didn’t happen – it’s a threat to the company.”
Mollie Halpern: These are scenes from The Company Man Protecting America’s Secrets. The FBI video dramatizes an American company’s experience as a target of economic espionage. Assistant Director of the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division, Randy Coleman…
Randall Coleman: This is a video about a real company, a real threat, there’s no company immune to this threat in the United States.
Halpern: Fighting economic espionage is a top priority of the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division.
“Go, go, go!”
One way the FBI mitigates the threat is through outreach and awareness efforts. It uses the video to educate businesses trade organizations and academia about the growing threat of economic espionage and how to protect their equities.
Coleman: The threat is becoming more pervasive China and Russia are becoming more aggressive.
“You need a Chinese partner.”
Halpern: This short film is also used to make companies aware that working with the FBI will help bring their case to a successful resolution.
Coleman: The FBI can help them in protecting their trade secrets. And ultimately, if they’ve been victim of these efforts then we can actually identify those responsible and bring them to justice.
Halpern: The costs of the crime on the U.S. economy are estimated at billions of dollars each year.
Here is your money. I’ve never seen so much.
Halpern: America’s economic vitality relies on the ability of its people to develop and commercialize scientific and technical innovations.
Coleman: Unfortunately our adversaries feel like that’s an opportunity so they will instead of conducting that research and development on their own and expending the funds and resources necessary to do that, they’ll steal it and they’ll steal it from the United States.
“We haven’t spent 20 years building this company to have them steal what we created.”
Halpern: To learn more about economic espionage and view The Company Man video visit fbi.gov. If you suspect economic espionage, report it to the FBI.
- 06.30.2022 — Ruja Ignatova Promotes OneCoin at London Event
- 06.29.2022 — FBI and National Center for Missing & Exploited Children Sextortion PSA
- 06.14.2022 — Footage from Charlotte, North Carolina, Mass Shooting on June 22, 2020
- 05.17.2022 — Domestic Security Alliance Council
- 05.11.2022 — National Senior Fraud Awareness Day
- 05.10.2022 — Director Wray's 2022 National Police Week Address
- 04.28.2022 — National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month PSA (FBI Los Angeles)
- 04.28.2022 — FBI Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Promotional Video
- 04.18.2022 — Missouri Bomb Task Force Renders Safe a Cannonball
- 04.05.2022 — Former Director William Webster Offers Warning About Elder Fraud
- 03.29.2022 — FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Oregon Cyber Task Force
- 03.29.2022 — FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Regional Computer Forensics Lab
- 03.29.2022 — FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Cyber Special Agent
- 03.07.2022 — Made in Beijing: The Plan for Global Market Domination
- 03.02.2022 — FBI Pittsburgh Highlights Teen Academy
- 03.01.2022 — HRT Mobility Team - Fast Boat
- 03.01.2022 — HRT Mobility Team - Night Vision Goggles
- 02.28.2022 — FBI Rochester Hate Crimes PSA
- 02.28.2022 — FBI Buffalo & FBI Rochester Hate Crimes PSA
- 02.28.2022 — FBI Buffalo Hate Crimes PSA