Counterintelligence Division's Randy Coleman Describes Economic Espionage
Randy Coleman, Assistant Director of the FBI's Counterintelligence Division, describes "The Company Man Protecting America’s Secrets," which dramatizes an American company’s experience as a target of economic espionage.
“Hey, I just found two trespassers taking pictures of the factory.”
“We can’t pretend this didn’t happen – it’s a threat to the company.”
Mollie Halpern: These are scenes from The Company Man Protecting America’s Secrets. The FBI video dramatizes an American company’s experience as a target of economic espionage. Assistant Director of the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division, Randy Coleman…
Randall Coleman: This is a video about a real company, a real threat, there’s no company immune to this threat in the United States.
Halpern: Fighting economic espionage is a top priority of the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division.
“Go, go, go!”
One way the FBI mitigates the threat is through outreach and awareness efforts. It uses the video to educate businesses trade organizations and academia about the growing threat of economic espionage and how to protect their equities.
Coleman: The threat is becoming more pervasive China and Russia are becoming more aggressive.
“You need a Chinese partner.”
Halpern: This short film is also used to make companies aware that working with the FBI will help bring their case to a successful resolution.
Coleman: The FBI can help them in protecting their trade secrets. And ultimately, if they’ve been victim of these efforts then we can actually identify those responsible and bring them to justice.
Halpern: The costs of the crime on the U.S. economy are estimated at billions of dollars each year.
Here is your money. I’ve never seen so much.
Halpern: America’s economic vitality relies on the ability of its people to develop and commercialize scientific and technical innovations.
Coleman: Unfortunately our adversaries feel like that’s an opportunity so they will instead of conducting that research and development on their own and expending the funds and resources necessary to do that, they’ll steal it and they’ll steal it from the United States.
“We haven’t spent 20 years building this company to have them steal what we created.”
Halpern: To learn more about economic espionage and view The Company Man video visit fbi.gov. If you suspect economic espionage, report it to the FBI.
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Alex Silverstein
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Justin Brannon
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Lauren Regucci
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent in Charge Sherri Onks
- 03.03.2023 — FBI Pittsburgh Joint Operation
- 02.09.2023 — Chinese High-Altitude Balloon Recovery
- 02.06.2023 — Inside The FBI Podcast: For The Love Of Money
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Romance Scams (2021 Rerelease)
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Submitting Tips to the Bureau
- 01.31.2023 — FBI Seattle Discusses Myths of Human Trafficking
- 01.16.2023 — FBI Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest in Unsolved Murders
- 01.13.2023 — Section Chief Jose Perez on Violent Crime Operations
- 01.12.2023 — Sextortion PSA – Salt Lake City
- 01.10.2023 — Madalina Cojocari Missing Person's Vodcast
- 12.29.2022 — FBI Atlanta: Surveillance in Ebenezer Baptist Church Vandalism Investigation
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
FBI Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to our email newsletter for news on the FBI, sent out every week.