Rewards Doubled for Fugitive Eco-Terrorists
Ten years ago, a band called "The Family" torched a ski resort. Now, we're increasing rewards for four of its missing members.
Deputy Assistant Director Michael Ward: Today, we are asking the public’s assistance to locate and apprehend four domestic terrorism fugitives associated with Operation Backfire. From 1996 to 2001, these individuals participated in a cell of approximately 20 individuals that were known as the “Family.” They conducted a range of criminal actions through the western United States in the name of the Animal Liberation Front and the Environmental Liberation Front.
The FBI is offering a reward of up to $50,000 for each for information leading to the arrest of each of these individuals.
The individuals are as follows: Josephine Sunshine Overaker, who has been on the run since 2001.
The second individual is Joseph Mahmoud Dibee, who is charged with two conspiracy violations related to 17 indictments, 17 counts of indictment, and one count of arson.
Justin Franchi Solondz is charged with conspiracy to commit arson, arson of a government building, arson of property used in interstate commerce, and use and carrying of a destructive device during and in relation to a crime of violence, and making unregistered destructive devices.
And finally, our fourth individual, Rebecca Rubin, is charged with two conspiracy violations related to 17 counts of indictment and two counts of arson.
Any way you look at it, these individuals are considered as terrorists, regardless of their political or social message.
Portland Assistant Special Agent in Charge Daniel Nielsen: While we all respect nature and the importance of protecting this planet, these subjects stepped over the line in their zealous attempts to promote their political viewpoint.
Today, we are left with four outstanding fugitives: Rubin, Solondz, Overaker, and Dibee.
They, like other defendants, deserve to stand before a judge and answer to the years of violence that they spread across our nation. We ask that people in this country, and around the world who may have information regarding their whereabouts, please contact us or their local authorities.
- 04.19.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Bhadreshkumar Chetanbhai Patel
- 04.18.2017 — Newark Press Conference on Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Walter Yovany Gomez
- 04.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Walter Yovany Gomez
- 03.27.2017 — Israel Legal Attaché Cary Gleicher Describes the FBI’s Role Overseas
- 03.27.2017 — Israel National Police General Describes Partnership with FBI
- 03.24.2017 — Seeking Information in Pasadena Cheesecake Factory Explosion
- 03.23.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Missing Woman Amy Lynn Bradley
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Tam Dao Describes Joining FBI
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Hesham Elgamiel Describes Joining FBI
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Alfred Tribble, Jr. Describes Joining FBI
- 03.23.2017 — SAC Perrye K. Turner Describes Importance of Diversity
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Jenelle Janabajal Describes Joining FBI
- 03.21.2017 — Facebook Live Broadcast: Celebrating Black History Month
- 03.21.2017 — FBI Careers: Coolest Stories
- 03.10.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Seeking Public Tips on Top Ten Fugitive Eduardo Ravelo
- 02.22.2017 — Voice of Unknown Subject in Indiana Double-Murder Investigation
- 02.21.2017 — Flag-Raising Honors Fallen Agent Edwin R. Woodriffe
- 02.13.2017 — Victim of Romance Scam Tells Her Story
- 02.13.2017 — Special Agent Christine Beining Describes Romance Scams
- 02.07.2017 — Facebook Live Broadcast: Women Special Agents