Rewards Doubled for Fugitive Eco-Terrorists
Ten years ago, a band called "The Family" torched a ski resort. Now, we're increasing rewards for four of its missing members.
Deputy Assistant Director Michael Ward: Today, we are asking the public’s assistance to locate and apprehend four domestic terrorism fugitives associated with Operation Backfire. From 1996 to 2001, these individuals participated in a cell of approximately 20 individuals that were known as the “Family.” They conducted a range of criminal actions through the western United States in the name of the Animal Liberation Front and the Environmental Liberation Front.
The FBI is offering a reward of up to $50,000 for each for information leading to the arrest of each of these individuals.
The individuals are as follows: Josephine Sunshine Overaker, who has been on the run since 2001.
The second individual is Joseph Mahmoud Dibee, who is charged with two conspiracy violations related to 17 indictments, 17 counts of indictment, and one count of arson.
Justin Franchi Solondz is charged with conspiracy to commit arson, arson of a government building, arson of property used in interstate commerce, and use and carrying of a destructive device during and in relation to a crime of violence, and making unregistered destructive devices.
And finally, our fourth individual, Rebecca Rubin, is charged with two conspiracy violations related to 17 counts of indictment and two counts of arson.
Any way you look at it, these individuals are considered as terrorists, regardless of their political or social message.
Portland Assistant Special Agent in Charge Daniel Nielsen: While we all respect nature and the importance of protecting this planet, these subjects stepped over the line in their zealous attempts to promote their political viewpoint.
Today, we are left with four outstanding fugitives: Rubin, Solondz, Overaker, and Dibee.
They, like other defendants, deserve to stand before a judge and answer to the years of violence that they spread across our nation. We ask that people in this country, and around the world who may have information regarding their whereabouts, please contact us or their local authorities.
- 07.13.2018 — FBI St. Louis – Armed Business Robbery on June 23, 2018
- 07.13.2018 — Chicago Youth Baseball Leagues Benefit from FBI Fraud Case
- 06.28.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Available for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Antwan Mims
- 06.11.2018 — FBI Swears In Honors Interns
- 05.25.2018 — FBI New York - Citgo Robbery on February 14, 2018
- 05.15.2018 — Tennessee Ponzi Scheme Preyed on Friends and Neighbors
- 05.07.2018 — Reporting Cyber Crime is as Easy as IC3
- 04.27.2018 — Director’s Community Leadership Awards promotional video
- 04.26.2018 — Facebook Live Event - Becoming an Intelligence Analyst
- 04.25.2018 — 2017 Director's Community Leadership Awards
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division completes final day at RSA Conference
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division wraps up 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Recruiting seminar at the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Meet an FBI Bomb Technician and working K-9 at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — San Francisco section chief to speak at 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Visit the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.12.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Rafael Caro-Quintero Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.03.2018 — Operation Targets Dark Web Drug Buyers
- 03.29.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Available in Kevin Robert Harris, II Murder Investigation
- 03.23.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Seeking Tips in Amy Bradley Investigation