ILEA Interpreters János and Márk Wodala
Father and son duo János and Márk Wodala describe their experience as ILEA interpreters
I am János Wodala. And by profession I am a teacher of English and Hungarian. But I’ve been doing interpretation since 1976.
My name is Márk A. Wodala and I am actually also a teacher of English as a foreign language and also a licensed interpreter by profession. And I had my first interpretation assignment in 1999. It was a simultaneous assignment. As for ILEA, I think my first assignment at ILEA was in 2003.
Janos: I introduced him to ILEA and I’m very proud of that because he’s a very good interpreter I think.
Mark: Well that’s kind of you.
Mark: You have to listen to what’s being spoken and speak at the same time with a small lag between the two. And it can be very demanding at times.
Janos: It is really demanding. And one interpreter can do it at the same level or can maintain the same quality of interpretation for about approximately 20 to 30 minutes. And then we take turns.
Mark: You have to take turns. Otherwise you get exhausted. It’s pretty exhausting as it is.
Janos: But it’s also very satisfying. So you can sort of sense if you do a good job of it. I compare the situation to soccer referee. So if it’s a good game, you don’t even notice that the referee is on the field. So if interpretation goes well, and if it goes smoothly, you don’t even notice that there’s an interpreter, or there are interpreters in the booths. And this is what gives us a lot of satisfaction.
- 02.16.2018 — FBI Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program
- 02.09.2018 — FBI Cincinnati Hate Crime Investigation
- 02.08.2018 — Download the FBI Bank Robbers App
- 02.05.2018 — Salt Lake City ATM Robbery Attempt
- 02.02.2018 — 2017 Biometric Identification Award
- 01.26.2018 — Kidnapping in Calumet City, Illinois, December 20, 2017
- 01.17.2018 — FBI and Security Preparations for Super Bowl LII
- 01.17.2018 — Super Bowl Brings a Focus on Human Trafficking
- 01.09.2018 — E-Check Tutorial: Firearm Retrieval Questions
- 01.09.2018 — FBI Hazardous Devices School Intro
- 01.09.2018 — Training with Bomb Disposal Robots (360-Degree Video)
- 01.09.2018 — Inside the FBI’s Hazardous Devices School
- 01.02.2018 — Arizona Armed Robbery
- 12.18.2017 — Utah U.S. Attorney Discusses Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — SEC Regional Director Describes Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — Utah Fraud Victim Describes Her Ordeal
- 12.18.2017 — Salt Lake Agent Describes Affinity Fraudster Tactics
- 12.13.2017 — Milwaukee-Area Pharmacy Robberies
- 11.30.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Jesus Roberto Munguia
- 11.21.2017 — FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center