FBI Salt Lake City Shares Tips to Avoid Holiday Scams
FBI Salt Lake City Supervisory Special Agent Casey Harrington gives tips to avoid holiday shopping scams this season, and asks consumers to remain vigilant against potential scammers.
Supervisory Special Agent Casey Harrington: It’s obviously a big time of year for retailers, for consumers, but also a big time of year for the criminals.
Every year, thousands of people become victims of holiday scams.
Special Agent Harrington: Regardless of whether it is an email, a text message, or a website, they’re going to use every possible way to try to get your information and get you to click on something you necessarily wouldn’t want to.
According to the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center's 2020 report, non-payment or non-delivery scams cost people more than $265 million. Credit card fraud accounted for $129 million in losses.
Special Agent Harrington: There’s a lot of criminals out there. It’s a very lucrative business.
This holiday season, don't be a victim.
Special Agent Harrington: We want to make sure when you’re purchasing an item online it’s somewhere that’s reputable and that you’re familiar with. Look for reviews, look for feedback from other people. Just because the ad’s on a legitimate platform or website, don’t believe that it’s not fraudulent. In the URL, usually you want to see it start with HTTPS – the “S” is the key for “secure.” We definitely encourage individuals to check credit card statements. They’re very sophisticated, they get better every year, and so we have to get better and the consumer has to get better at identifying the scam.
Report Internet crimes to IC3.gov.
- 01.12.2022 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Fighting Violent Crime
- 12.21.2021 — FBI Seattle Warns About Ransomware
- 12.20.2021 — Stay Cybersecure This Holiday Season
- 12.06.2021 — Consumer Shares Their Holiday Shopping Scam Experience
- 12.02.2021 — Victim of Romance Scam Who Became Money Mule Tells Story
- 11.23.2021 — Citizens Academy Alumni Association President Reflects on Organization's Role
- 11.22.2021 — Karen Corrigan Describes Role of FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association
- 11.19.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns About Holiday Scams
- 11.18.2021 — Iranian Nationals Charged with Interfering in 2020 U.S. Presidential Election
- 11.16.2021 — Sister of Missing Woman Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Disappearance
- 11.16.2021 — Mother of Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Daughter's Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Inside the FBI: Health Care Fraud
- 11.15.2021 — Friend of Missing Person John Tran Seeks Clues in Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Missing Person: John Bui Tran
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.29.2021 — Inside the FBI Podcast: UFOs
- 10.29.2021 — FBI New Haven: Help Stop Hate Crimes
- 10.26.2021 — FBI and Partners Target Online Drug Markets