FBI Salt Lake City Shares Tips to Avoid Holiday Scams
FBI Salt Lake City Supervisory Special Agent Casey Harrington gives tips to avoid holiday shopping scams this season, and asks consumers to remain vigilant against potential scammers.
Supervisory Special Agent Casey Harrington: It’s obviously a big time of year for retailers, for consumers, but also a big time of year for the criminals.
Every year, thousands of people become victims of holiday scams.
Special Agent Harrington: Regardless of whether it is an email, a text message, or a website, they’re going to use every possible way to try to get your information and get you to click on something you necessarily wouldn’t want to.
According to the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center's 2020 report, non-payment or non-delivery scams cost people more than $265 million. Credit card fraud accounted for $129 million in losses.
Special Agent Harrington: There’s a lot of criminals out there. It’s a very lucrative business.
This holiday season, don't be a victim.
Special Agent Harrington: We want to make sure when you’re purchasing an item online it’s somewhere that’s reputable and that you’re familiar with. Look for reviews, look for feedback from other people. Just because the ad’s on a legitimate platform or website, don’t believe that it’s not fraudulent. In the URL, usually you want to see it start with HTTPS – the “S” is the key for “secure.” We definitely encourage individuals to check credit card statements. They’re very sophisticated, they get better every year, and so we have to get better and the consumer has to get better at identifying the scam.
Report Internet crimes to IC3.gov.
- 09.15.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The FBI's Safe Online Surfing Internet Challenge
- 09.09.2023 — Nationals Video 2023
- 08.29.2023 — FBI Director Christopher Wray Announces Major Operation Targeting the Qakbot Botnet
- 08.23.2023 — Little Rock Operation Cross Country 2023
- 08.18.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Searching for Steven
- 08.16.2023 — FBI Kansas Intern Experience 2023
- 08.15.2023 — Susan Wright talks about FBI Richmond's Diversity Agent Recruitment Event
- 08.15.2023 — Dave Kadela talks about FBI Richmond's Diversity Agent Recruitment Event
- 08.15.2023 — Britany Perkins DAR Video
- 08.14.2023 — FBI Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program
- 08.08.2023 — Making Sense of FISA Section 702
- 08.01.2023 — Video Footage from Operation Cross Country 13
- 07.31.2023 — Defending Against AI Threats
- 07.28.2023 — FBI Dallas Joint Operation Targets Gang Members, Violent Criminals
- 07.27.2023 — FBI Columbia Citizens Academy
- 07.27.2023 — Identity Theft Victim Shares Her Story
- 07.26.2023 — Director Wray Addresses FBI Atlanta Cyber Threat Summit
- 07.26.2023 — FBI Cyber and Nebraska Farm Bureau
- 07.24.2023 — Director Wray NOBLE Speech
- 07.20.2023 — Director Wray Lauds the FBI's Partnerships