FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Regional Computer Forensics Lab
FBI Portland Senior Forensic Examiner Justin Lazenby discusses his work with the Northwest Regional Computer Forensics Laboratory.
Hi, my name is Justin Lazenby, and I am a senior forensic examiner with the Northwest Regional Computer Forensics Laboratory. And the CFL is a task force, which means it's FBI and other local law enforcement kind of working together. Specifically, we do computer forensics - so criminal cases involving some sort of digital data.
The kinds of cases I work involve child exploitation, fraud, national security issues, theft, identity theft, computer intrusion, drug cases...and these days just about anything that involves a cell phone. So it's my job to look into computer data, to look for artifacts specific to a criminal case.
It's a challenge; I'm kind of one of those people that likes puzzles. I like to find solutions to problems. And every case I do is a new problem, a new solution, a new puzzle that I need to solve.
The advice I would have for a student or a young professional would be to take a lot of computer courses, if not get a degree in the computer field. Over and above that, I would say to an extra step. So look toward master's classes, look toward further experience in the field of computers or cyber investigations. Make yourself the most viable candidate.
Everybody that I work with is very positive, very, very smart, clever, creative, strong people, all looking to do the right thing.
- 12.01.2023 — Inside the FBI: Charity Scams
- 12.01.2023 — FBI Omaha Hate Crime Awareness Campaign
- 11.20.2023 — FBI Charlotte: Bus Video in Madalina Cojocari Missing Person Investigation
- 11.20.2023 — Inside the FBI: The Importance of Partner Engagement
- 11.06.2023 — Chicago Warns About Charity Fraud
- 11.03.2023 — Charlotte Field Office at Beacon Project
- 10.26.2023 — FBI New Orleans hosts Federal Law Enforcement Youth Academy
- 10.26.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The Emerging Technology and Securing Innovation Security Summit
- 10.20.2023 — FBI Oklahoma City on Panel Discussing Osage Murders Case
- 10.19.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The Osage Murders
- 10.17.2023 — Director Wray Discusses the Threat of Chinese Economic Espionage at Five Eyes Press Conference
- 10.17.2023 — Director Wray Discusses Potential Misuses of AI During the FBI's Emerging Technology and Securing Innovation Security Summit
- 10.17.2023 — Director Wray Characterizes the Threat China Poses to Innovation During the FBI's Emerging Technology and Securing Innovation Security Summit
- 10.14.2023 — The FBI Continues to Build Partnerships at IACP
- 09.29.2023 — FBI Phoenix Hosts New Agent Training Program for Indian Country
- 09.29.2023 — Operation Not Forgotten
- 09.28.2023 — Interview with Cindy Valle's Brother
- 09.28.2023 — Interview with Cindy Valle's Mother
- 09.15.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The FBI's Safe Online Surfing Internet Challenge
- 09.09.2023 — Nationals Video 2023