FBI Diversity: Hope's Story
Chemist Hope speaks about her experience working for the FBI.
Hope Coplenad: My name is Hope Copeland.
I am a chemist, non-examiner, in the Scientific Response Analysis Unit, FBI Laboratory. And I was being interviewed, I asked the person who was interviewing me, they asked me, “Are there any questions that you have for me?” And I asked them, I said, "Well, will it be a problem that I wear a hijab to work every day?" Because at my previous employment I did not wear my hijab because I didn’t feel comfortable, I didn’t feel like I was protected. I felt like I was amongst law enforcement officers who did not understand Muslims, and I came from a community that’s skeptical of law enforcement anyways, and I’m speaking of the black community in general.
And when I asked this question of the interviewer, she looked at me and was like, “Why would that be a problem?” And when she responded that way, literally, I was like, “Really? It’s, you know, it’s not gonna be, you know, a problem? You guys aren’t gonna ask me, can you not wear your scarf, your hijab?” And she was like, “No we wouldn’t do that.” And so I was like, wow, this is great, I gotta get this job, you know.
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
- 11.14.2022 — FBI Buffalo: Surveillance in CompassCare Arson Investigation
- 11.11.2022 — Little Rock B-Roll 110922
- 11.07.2022 — FBI and Wounded Warrior Regiment Connect for Career and Fitness Event
- 10.25.2022 — FBI Honolulu and Bank of Guam Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Short)
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Long)
- 10.03.2022 — FBI Dallas Continues Hate Crime Awareness Efforts
- 09.16.2022 — FBI Minneapolis Seeks Public’s Help in Identifying Person of Interest in South Dakota Homicide
- 09.14.2022 — Director Wray Addresses Recent Cyber Activity
- 09.12.2022 — Violent Crime Takedown B-Roll
- 09.12.2022 — FBI Director Christopher Wray on How the FBI Is Helping to Combat Violent Crime
- 09.09.2022 — FBI Minneapolis Seeks Public’s Help in Identifying Person of Interest in South Dakota Homicide
- 09.07.2022 — Cyber PSA from FBI Jacksonville
- 08.26.2022 — FBI Jacksonville Collegiate Academy PSA
- 08.14.2022 — Operation Cross Country 2022 B-Roll