FBI Diversity: Hope's Story
Chemist Hope speaks about her experience working for the FBI.
Hope Coplenad: My name is Hope Copeland.
I am a chemist, non-examiner, in the Scientific Response Analysis Unit, FBI Laboratory. And I was being interviewed, I asked the person who was interviewing me, they asked me, “Are there any questions that you have for me?” And I asked them, I said, "Well, will it be a problem that I wear a hijab to work every day?" Because at my previous employment I did not wear my hijab because I didn’t feel comfortable, I didn’t feel like I was protected. I felt like I was amongst law enforcement officers who did not understand Muslims, and I came from a community that’s skeptical of law enforcement anyways, and I’m speaking of the black community in general.
And when I asked this question of the interviewer, she looked at me and was like, “Why would that be a problem?” And when she responded that way, literally, I was like, “Really? It’s, you know, it’s not gonna be, you know, a problem? You guys aren’t gonna ask me, can you not wear your scarf, your hijab?” And she was like, “No we wouldn’t do that.” And so I was like, wow, this is great, I gotta get this job, you know.
- 02.22.2017 — Voice of Unknown Subject in Indiana Double-Murder Investigation
- 02.21.2017 — Flag-Raising Honors Fallen Agent Edwin R. Woodriffe
- 02.13.2017 — Victim of Romance Scam Tells Her Story
- 02.13.2017 — Special Agent Christine Beining Describes Romance Scams
- 02.07.2017 — Facebook Live Broadcast: Women Special Agents
- 02.06.2017 — FBI Sacramento Missing Person Elijah Moore Surveillance Footage
- 02.06.2017 — FBI Wanted App Promo Video
- 01.30.2017 — Houston FBI Prepares for 2017 Super Bowl
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Unlock User
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Submit a Search
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Retrieve Status
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Reset Password
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Export to Excel
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Change Password
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Add User
- 01.13.2017 — Debt Collection Fraud Call Recording
- 01.05.2017 — 2016 Biometric Identification Award
- 01.04.2017 — Interested in Becoming a Special Agent?
- 12.22.2016 — Denuncie la Corrupción en la Frontera al FBI
- 12.22.2016 — Don’t Turn a Blind Eye, Report Border Corruption to the FBI