FBI Careers: Language Analyst
Language Analyst Elie speaks about his experience working for the FBI.
Elie Machalany: My name is Elie Machalany, and I am a language analyst in the Arabic language here in Newark.
Well, after college I worked for a computer company as a purchaser. Then, I needed a little more challenge, so I opened a bagel store, and then after that I opened three more, and that's basically what I did before the FBI. I had the business for over 15 years, and through the business I met an FBI agent. And so he said, with your language background, why don't you apply to the FBI? We can always use your talent.
Every day, something new comes up. It's always exciting, there’s always something new that I'm doing. I could be sitting at my desk and then a few minutes later, I could be going somewhere, talking to somebody, trying to become friends with that person; going to a community to solve an issue; or getting on a flight and going somewhere in the world again to protect U.S. citizens. That’s my daily life in the FBI.
And plus, I am working for the most important and the most amazing organization in the world. It's an envy of everybody, not only in America, all over the world. And I have traveled
for the FBI throughout the world. I really want to tell you that I love my job. I love coming to work every day, and in my 16 years, I don't think I had a bad day where I said I don't want to go to work today.
- 02.20.2018 — Facebook Live Event: FBI Victim Assistance
- 02.20.2018 — Seeking Information in Memphis Gas Station Robbery
- 02.16.2018 — FBI Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program
- 02.16.2018 — Children of Thomas Wales Seek Information
- 02.09.2018 — FBI Cincinnati Hate Crime Investigation
- 02.08.2018 — Download the FBI Bank Robbers App
- 02.05.2018 — Salt Lake City ATM Robbery Attempt
- 02.02.2018 — 2017 Biometric Identification Award
- 01.26.2018 — Kidnapping in Calumet City, Illinois, December 20, 2017
- 01.17.2018 — FBI and Security Preparations for Super Bowl LII
- 01.17.2018 — Super Bowl Brings a Focus on Human Trafficking
- 01.09.2018 — E-Check Tutorial: Firearm Retrieval Questions
- 01.09.2018 — FBI Hazardous Devices School Intro
- 01.09.2018 — Training with Bomb Disposal Robots (360-Degree Video)
- 01.09.2018 — Inside the FBI’s Hazardous Devices School
- 01.02.2018 — Arizona Armed Robbery
- 12.18.2017 — Utah U.S. Attorney Discusses Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — SEC Regional Director Describes Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — Utah Fraud Victim Describes Her Ordeal
- 12.18.2017 — Salt Lake Agent Describes Affinity Fraudster Tactics