FBI Careers: Language Analyst
Language Analyst Elie speaks about his experience working for the FBI.
Elie Machalany: My name is Elie Machalany, and I am a language analyst in the Arabic language here in Newark.
Well, after college I worked for a computer company as a purchaser. Then, I needed a little more challenge, so I opened a bagel store, and then after that I opened three more, and that's basically what I did before the FBI. I had the business for over 15 years, and through the business I met an FBI agent. And so he said, with your language background, why don't you apply to the FBI? We can always use your talent.
Every day, something new comes up. It's always exciting, there’s always something new that I'm doing. I could be sitting at my desk and then a few minutes later, I could be going somewhere, talking to somebody, trying to become friends with that person; going to a community to solve an issue; or getting on a flight and going somewhere in the world again to protect U.S. citizens. That’s my daily life in the FBI.
And plus, I am working for the most important and the most amazing organization in the world. It's an envy of everybody, not only in America, all over the world. And I have traveled
for the FBI throughout the world. I really want to tell you that I love my job. I love coming to work every day, and in my 16 years, I don't think I had a bad day where I said I don't want to go to work today.
- 09.21.2017 — Think Before You Post PSA
- 09.14.2017 — Future FBI in Training Program Provides Interactive Experience
- 08.18.2017 — Inside the FBI’s Public Access Line
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill Recalls Graduation
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Fulfilling a Dream
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Firearms Training
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Driving the Precision Obstacle Course (360-Degree Video)
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Preparing for the Field
- 08.01.2017 — 360-Degree Video of Mock Crime Scene, FBI Honolulu Adopt-a-School
- 07.31.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The First Week
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Inside the Classroom
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Kellie Holland’s Perspective
- 07.27.2017 — How the FBI's Adopt-a-School Program is Working in Hawaii
- 07.24.2017 — Vermont Drug-Related Forfeiture Leads to Renewal of Homes, Neighborhood
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The ONE Program
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill’s Perspective
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: David Lewis’ Perspective
- 07.14.2017 — Security Video of 2013 Connecticut Jewelry Store Robbery
- 06.29.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Phillip Leron Miller
- 06.16.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Offered in Maurice Spagnoletti Murder Case