STEM and the FBI
The FBI employs science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) to advance investigations and stay ahead of threats. Learn more about STEM jobs: fbijobs.gov.
Peter: STEM is an acronym for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics. It represents four key areas where being creative or curious about things enables you to solve problems big and small more efficiently.
Curtis: and STEM helps the FBI and its mission because STEM relates to everything we always do. It affects our lives everyday
Jodi: A variety of STEM disciplines are integral basic daily operations at the FBI and STEM also factors directly into the FBI’s intelligence, investigative and criminal case work. Peter: I use my STEM background daily in my duties as a software developer, designing and maintaining software solutions for the FBI
Brian: My job is to take a look at problems that come up, large data problems, complex problems, and solve those problems. Provide solutions to our leadership, provide solutions to investigators in the field.
Curtis: In the investigations we are processing today there’s always a digital component. Being able to understand and effectively extract the data to be used in investigations is critical to making sure we are successful.
Brian: It’s not one person, one group of people who solve these problems, it’s a diverse group of people who solve these problems. Diversity is definitely a very important thing in the STEM program
Peter: Diversity and inclusion is an important aspect of STEM because when it comes to problem solving, brainstorming is a critical element and the more diverse backgrounds you have, the more ideas you get faster.
Curtis: In order to effectively prosecute cases and work investigations, we need to understand the science and technology that underlie the high tech investigations that we work on.
Jodi: Technology is moving extremely rapidly and the FBI is working very hard to responsibly bring those technologies to our case work. For us to be effective in doing so, we need individuals who understand and are agile with the newest technology.
- 04.25.2018 — 2017 Director's Community Leadership Awards
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division completes final day at RSA Conference
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division wraps up 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Recruiting seminar at the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Meet an FBI Bomb Technician and working K-9 at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — San Francisco section chief to speak at 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Visit the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.12.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Rafael Caro-Quintero Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.03.2018 — Operation Targets Dark Web Drug Buyers
- 03.29.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Available in Kevin Robert Harris, II Murder Investigation
- 03.23.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Seeking Tips in Amy Bradley Investigation
- 03.16.2018 — Facebook Live Event - FBI Investigative Publicity Program
- 03.08.2018 — Special Agent Selection Process: Core Competencies
- 02.20.2018 — Facebook Live Event: FBI Victim Assistance
- 02.20.2018 — Seeking Information in Memphis Gas Station Robbery
- 02.16.2018 — FBI Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program
- 02.16.2018 — Children of Thomas Wales Seek Information
- 02.09.2018 — FBI Cincinnati Hate Crime Investigation
- 02.08.2018 — Download the FBI Bank Robbers App
- 02.05.2018 — Salt Lake City ATM Robbery Attempt