FBI, This Week: Playing It Safe—The Bureau Prepares for Super Bowl LII
February 1, 2018
The location of Super Bowl LII presents several security “firsts” for the FBI and its law enforcement partners.
Mollie Halpern: The location of Super Bowl LII presents several security “firsts” for the FBI and its law enforcement partners.
Players will take to the field at U.S. Bank Stadium, which is located in downtown Minneapolis—right in the middle of businesses, residences, and public transportation.
Blocks away, the convention center hosts the NFL Experience, which immerses fans in all things football.
Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s Minneapolis Field Office Richard Thornton says other Super Bowl venue sites have not presented the same challenges.
Richard Thornton: In terms of establishing the perimeter and the security zones, it made that significantly more complicated.
Halpern: Joseph Rivers, the assistant special agent in charge, says more than 40 working groups are part of the security plan.
Joseph Rivers: There’s everything from venue security and stadium security to aviation security to all hazards—meaning the coordination and de-confliction for suspicious packages and bomb squad responses.
Halpern: Learn more at www.fbi.gov. With FBI, This Week, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau.
- 02.26.2020 — Kingdom of Jesus Christ PSA - Tagalog (FBI Los Angeles)
- 02.04.2020 — Kingdom of Jesus Christ PSA (FBI Los Angeles)
- 01.21.2020 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Ley de Protección de las Víctimas de la Trata de Personas
- 01.21.2020 — FBI, This Week: 2019 Preliminary Semiannual Uniform Crime Report Released
- 01.16.2020 — Se Busca por el FBI: Jose Arturo Navarrete, Jr.