Celebrating Agents of Asian Ancestry: John Uda
Retired Special Agent John Uda describes his experience as an FBI Agent of Asian ancestry.
When I was a seventh-grader in a little Homedale (Idaho) town, I watched The FBI Story with Jimmy Stewart and I said, "That’s what I’d like to be." So that’s what I kind of set my goal as being an FBI agent.
I had a great time. It’s really what I always wanted. I knew I didn’t want to be a farmer. I knew I didn’t want to be a teacher. I went the teaching route and got in. I remember I had five goals in the FBI from the get-go. And that was, number one, have as much fun as possible. Number two, don’t get killed. Number three, be a defensive tactics instructor. And number four is be on SWAT. And number five is work violent crime. And I got to do—I didn’t get killed—I got to do all of those.
When I think about war stories, I think really of SWAT and all the things we did on SWAT. When I think of contributions to the Bureau, I think of the three years that I was a defensive tactics instructor at the Academy. You know I have agents that are now retiring that I taught the ropes to. So that was my contribution.
- 10.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Endangered Child Alert Program Seeks Information on Jane Doe 39
- 10.11.2017 — Compact Council Ratification Overview
- 10.11.2017 — Audio of Jane Doe 39
- 10.02.2017 — FBI Chicago Internships and Careers
- 09.28.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Missing Woman Rachel Louise Cooke
- 09.26.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: New Top Ten Fugitive Santiago Villalba Mederos
- 09.21.2017 — Think Before You Post PSA
- 09.14.2017 — Future FBI in Training Program Provides Interactive Experience
- 08.18.2017 — Inside the FBI’s Public Access Line
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill Recalls Graduation
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Fulfilling a Dream
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Firearms Training
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Driving the Precision Obstacle Course (360-Degree Video)
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Preparing for the Field
- 08.01.2017 — 360-Degree Video of Mock Crime Scene, FBI Honolulu Adopt-a-School
- 07.31.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The First Week
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Inside the Classroom
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Kellie Holland’s Perspective
- 07.27.2017 — How the FBI's Adopt-a-School Program is Working in Hawaii
- 07.24.2017 — Vermont Drug-Related Forfeiture Leads to Renewal of Homes, Neighborhood