FBI, This Week: Combating International Corruption
July 21, 2016
An FBI-led investigation results in the largest seizure of assets from foreign corrupt officials in U.S. history.
Mollie Halpern: An FBI-led investigation results in the largest seizure of assets from foreign corrupt officials in U.S. history.
The FBI and its partners uncovered a sophisticated scheme in which corrupt officials in Malaysia stole money from their people and laundered it through the U.S. financial system. A civil complaint seeks to seize more than $1 billion in associated assets.
FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe...
Andrew McCabe: When corrupt officials bring their ill-gotten gains to the United States, they also bring with them their corrupt practices and disregard for the rule of law.
Halpern: The FBI has three specialized squads composed of agents, analysts, and accountants dedicated to international corruption investigations. McCabe says this case is a result of their work and sends a message to corrupt officials around the world that no one is above the law.
McCabe: The more we can do to help our international partners establish and maintain stable governments accountable to the rule of law, the more we do to ensure U.S. national security.
Halpern: With FBI, This Week, I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI.
- 09.14.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Operational Support During Hurricanes
- 09.08.2017 — FBI, This Week: Director Christopher Wray Speaks at INSA Summit
- 09.01.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Charity Fraud in Wake of Hurricane Harvey
- 08.25.2017 — FBI, This Week: Operation Wellspring Expands
- 08.17.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Trains with Partners on Indian Country Crime