Norfolk FBI, Newport News Police Department, and Partners Host Community Event to Promote Dialogue
The Norfolk Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), in partnership with the Newport News Police Department, the Norfolk Chapter of the Citizens Academy Alumni Association, and the Newport News Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association, will sponsor an event titled Bridging the Gap, a law enforcement and community outreach program designed to promote respect and mutual understanding among all cultures, community groups, and law enforcement through education, activities, and dialogue.
The objectives of the law enforcement dialogue include:
- Educating our city about the mission and priorities of our respective law enforcement agencies
- Building understanding to overcome/prevent stereotypes of cultures and law enforcement
- Educating participants to be creative, independent thinkers and encouraging collaboration and teamwork in our neighborhoods and workplaces
- Promoting diversity and inclusion
The event will be held on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Mariners’ Museum at 100 Museum Drive in Newport News, Virginia.
In conjunction with this event, the Norfolk Chapter of the Citizens Academy Alumni Association and the Newport News Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association will sponsor a photo contest for local teens ages 15-18. This will be an opportunity to share an original and creative photo that demonstrates how the power of working together around shared values can impact neighborhoods. Students are requested to use the following guidelines for their entries.
Students are asked to take and upload an original and creative photo that demonstrates how the power of working together around shared values can impact neighborhoods. Students are encouraged to highlight ways people of all cultures can collaborate with law enforcement to improve their community. The photo may depict collaboration, diversity, respect, etc., along with an explanation of how such collaboration can positively impact our relationships with law enforcement and/or improve their community.
Entry Dates, Deadlines, and Winner Notification:
- This contest will begin on August 3, 2015 and close at midnight on September 1, 2015
- Upload photos to Instagram @bridgingthegap_2015 by 11:59 p.m. on September 1 using #sharedvaluesBTG
- Winners will be announced at the Bridging the Gap event on September 15, 2015 at the Mariners’ Museum at 100 Museum Drive in Newport News from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Three winners will be selected: 1st place; trophy/$50 iTunes card; 2nd place, trophy/$25 iTunes card; and 3rd place, trophy/selfie stick. Prizes will be provided by the Norfolk Chapter of the Citizens Academy Alumni Association and the Newport News Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association
Eligibility and Restrictions:
- Participants must be between the ages of 15 and 18 by the contest deadline (September 1, 2015)
- Only one photo per contestant will be accepted
- Photos must be the original work of the student
- Contestants must be residents of Hampton Roads, Virginia
- Children of FBI employees and children of Newport News Police Department employees are not eligible to participate
Photo entries and descriptions may also be e-mailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
Norfolk FBI Community Outreach
509 Resource Row
Chesapeake, VA 23320
A panel will review the photos and will select the winners based on the following elements:
- Explanation of Photo (no more than 4 to 6 sentences)
Important: Parents nor youth participants may contact the Norfolk FBI, Newport News Police Department, or the judges for information related to the photo contest; doing so will result in participant’s immediate disqualification from this contest.