U.S. Attorney's Office
District of South Carolina
(803) 929-3000
October 23, 2014

Female Gang Member Sentenced for Lying to FBI During Southeast Kidnapping Investigation

COLUMBIA, SC—United States Attorney Bill Nettles stated today that Chason Renee Chase, a/k/a “Lady Jamaica,” a/k/a “Lady J,” age 24, of Columbia, South Carolina and Atlanta, Georgia was sentenced today in federal court to three (3) months’ imprisonment, which will be followed by three (3) years of supervised release. In August, Chase, who had no previous prior criminal record, plead guilty to making false statements to agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) during a kidnapping investigation, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1001. United States District Judge Joseph F. Anderson, Jr. rejected Chase’s request for a probation sentence, citing the serious nature of the investigation during which Chase made false statements to the FBI.

Evidence presented at the change of plea hearing established that on April 9, 2014, agents with the FBI’s Columbia Violent Gang Task Force received information that Chase was affiliated with individuals, including North Carolina prisoner and gang member Kelvin Melton, that were allegedly involved in an on-going kidnapping of a North Carolina state prosecutor’s father on April 5, 2014. When FBI agents approached Chase in Columbia and advised her of the on-going kidnapping investigation, Chase denied knowing Melton, stated that she did not recognize a photograph of Melton, denied recognizing Melton’s telephone number, denied communicating with any gang members since last year, and denied communicating with Melton. Agents confirmed through phone records that Melton and Chase had recently been in contact. In fact, after FBI agents arrested Chase and while they were interviewing her that evening, one of Chase’s cellular phones showed that Melton was frantically attempting to contact her from his jail cell in North Carolina. At this point, the kidnapping victim had not been rescued, so FBI agents immediately forwarded information and documentation seized from Chase’s residence to FBI agents in North Carolina and Georgia to aid in their attempt to rescue the victim and identify and locate the kidnapping suspects. The investigation confirmed and Chase later admitted that she was a member of the Bloods gang and that she kept their membership records and dues. The kidnapping victim was rescued in Atlanta later that night. The kidnapping investigation/prosecution is being prosecuted in the Eastern District of North Carolina.

The case was investigated by the FBI. Assistant United States Attorney Stacey Haynes of the Columbia Field Office handled the prosecution of the case.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.