Joint Terrorism Task Force 35th Anniversary
May 28, 2015
The month of May marks the 35th anniversary of the nation’s front line in the war against terrorism—the Joint Terrorism Task Forces, or JTTFs.
Mollie Halpern: The month of May marks the 35th anniversary of the nation’s front line in the war against terrorism—the Joint Terrorism Task Forces, or JTTFs. The idea for the JTTF was born out of the need for the FBI and the New York City Police Department to unite resources and expertise against domestic terrorist organizations causing violence in the city in the 80s. The JTTF’s focus shifted to international terrorist groups when the World Trade Center was bombed in 1993.
Today’s JTTFs are composed of nearly 4,000 highly trained investigators, analysts, and other specialists from local, state, and federal law enforcement and intelligence agencies. Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s New York City’s Counterterrorism Division William Sweeney…
William F. Sweeney: The partnerships are essential. It is a great model. Every agency has resources that they can bring to the fight.
Halpern: More than 100 JTTFs are located across the country. I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau with FBI, This Week.
- 07.26.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Hogan’s Alley—El Pueblo Más Malo en América
- 07.21.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Se Ofrece Recompensa en la Investigación del Homicidio de Maurice Spagnoletti
- 07.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: AlphaBay Criminal Marketplace Takedown
- 07.19.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Academia Nacional Marca un Hito
- 07.17.2017 — Voice of Unknown Subject in Indiana Murder Investigation