Active Shooter and Complex Mall Attack Exercises
June 13, 2014
The FBI is compiling best practices and lessons learned from active shooter and terrorist attack training exercises from across the country.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI is compiling best practices and lessons learned from active shooter and terrorist attack training exercises from across the country. I’m Mollie Halpern, and this is FBI, This Week. Coordination is underway in Indianapolis, where lessons learned will be implemented into a capstone exercise in August. The training will teach what resources the FBI can offer and how we can assist in these types of investigations. Kevin Lyons is the acting special agent in charge in the Indianapolis Division.
Kevin P. Lyons: We conduct this training with our local partners and also with the private sector, so we’re working together prior to an event happening. So if something does happen for real, that it’s not the first time we meet each other.
Halpern: Members of the Department of Defense and international law enforcement and prosecutors will also have an opportunity to observe and learn from the exercise.
More police departments wanted tactical training after events like the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and the Nairobi mall attack. In response, the FBI, along with other federal agencies, have been providing additional training to its law enforcement at all levels and private sector partners.
Lyons: This is a significant problem across the country, and we want to be front and center in helping citizens of our communities.
Halpern: To learn about what actions you can take in these incidents, visit the “Run, Hide, Fight” guidance on www.fbi.gov.
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Virtual Kidnapping for Ransom Schemes
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted Report Released
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Critical Supplies to Those Impacted by Hurricane Maria
- 10.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Endangered Child Alert Program Seeks Information on Jane Doe 39
- 10.10.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Tenga Cuidado con el Fraude por Parte de Organizaciones Benéficas como Resultado de los Huracanes