Sting! Insurance Fraud - II
June 20, 2008
More than 30 people caught in an Insurance Fraud case. FBI Special Agent Terry Nestor in Philadelphia says they staged accidents, had a clinic, and billed insurance companies for services not provided...
Mr. Schiff: More than 30 people caught in an Insurance Fraud case. FBI Special Agent Terry Nestor in Philadelphia says they staged accidents, had a clinic, and billed insurance companies for services not provided...
Ms. Nestor: "The whole thing was corrupt and we were getting this information basically that the same people were doing the same frauds over and over."
Mr. Schiff: Nestor says the FBI worked with insurance companies...
Ms. Nestor: "They have fraud units set up and when they get information that they perceive a fraud is going they contact the FBI and they present what they have to the FBI."
Mr. Schiff: Nestor says the FBI began "Staged Impact," a sting where patients came to a phony clinic but didn't receive treatment...
Ms. Nestor: "When they got to the clinic it was explained to them that the clinic was a fraud and all they would do was produce medical bills and these medical bills would go to the insurance companies and they would be able to profit by getting a settlement check at the end."
Mr. Schiff: Insurance companies lost about $1.5 million in settlement claims and about $300,000 in medical bills. The fraudsters convicted have to pay them back. I'm Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's the FBI's Closed Case of the Week."
- 11.16.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Seeking Assistance in Hania Aguilar Kidnapping Investigation
- 11.15.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2017 Hate Crime Statistics Released
- 11.08.2018 — FBI, This Week: Serving with STEM
- 11.07.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Search Intensifies for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Greg Carlson
- 11.02.2018 — FBI, This Week: FBI Combats Chinese Economic Espionage as Part of New Initiative