Scammed by a Lawyer - I
April 18, 2008
A lawyer in San Francisco stealing money from clients...
Mr. Schiff: Check this out. A lawyer in San Francisco stealing money from clients...
Mr. Weber: "Millions. Millions of dollars were misappropriated by the defendant."
Mr. Schiff: That's Special Agent Brian Weber of the FBI's Criminal Investigative Division …
Mr. Weber: "This was a case involving gross misconduct on the part of an attorney. And the case was actually referred to our office and the local U.S. Attorney's office by the State Bar that was investigating the attorney."
Mr. Schiff: The attorney won cases for customers. But Weber says the investigation found that he ripped off the clients…
Mr. Weber: "The original case came to us with stunning complaints from victims who claimed they believed their cases had been settled for money and they had not received any of the money."
Mr. Schiff: Weber says the FBI worked with the IRS and several San Francisco area police departments and sheriff's offices collecting evidence…
Mr. Weber: "Financial records of everybody involved in the case; financial records of all the companies involved in the case."
Mr. Schiff: The lawyer was convicted of mail fraud and money laundering. He was sentenced to 14-years in prison and has to pay back hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's the FBI's Closed Case of the Week."
- 02.15.2018 — FBI, This Week: Restoring the Identities of Unknown Human Remains
- 02.08.2018 — FBI, This Week: Partnership Helps Reduce Backlogged Sexual Assault Kits
- 02.01.2018 — Inside the FBI: Playing It Safe—The Bureau Prepares for Super Bowl LII
- 02.01.2018 — FBI, This Week: Playing It Safe—The Bureau Prepares for Super Bowl LII
- 01.23.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2017 Preliminary Semiannual Crime Statistics Released