May 7, 2015
The FBI needs public tips to help track down a California man and his mother for allegedly kidnapping his daughter, who was just two weeks away from turning 2 years old.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI needs public tips to help track down a California man and his mother for allegedly kidnapping his daughter, who was just two weeks away from turning 2 years old.
Derek Spencer had no custodial rights to his daughter, Kamelia, but was permitted to have scheduled supervised visits. It was during one of those monitored visits back in 1999 when a social worker says Spencer abducted his daughter.
Thomas J. Rosen, Jr: She’s never been seen since and neither has he.
Halpern: That was FBI Special Agent Thomas Rosen, who says law enforcement found evidence that Spencer and his mother, Helen Barbara Gruning, abandoned the home they shared.
Rosen: She has a mother that hasn’t been able to see her grow up, that doesn’t know if she’s safe.
Halpern: The victim’s mother calls Kamelia “sweetpea” and pleas for her return.
Sonia Coppolecchia: I just want her to know that every day of my life I have fought for her, and I don’t know anything but to fight for her until she comes back.
Halpern: Spencer, Gruning, and Kamelia may be living under fake names. Spencer has the word “Derek” tattooed on his arm.
Rosen: We’re going to do our best to find these two and hold them responsible for their crimes that they’ve committed, and more importantly reunite a little girl with a family that she may not even know exists.
Halpern: If you have information, contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate. I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau with Wanted by the FBI.
- 06.28.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Programa de Agentes Especiales Jóvenes
- 06.22.2017 — FBI, This Week: Internet Crime Complaint Center Releases Annual Report
- 06.21.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Se Solicita Información Sobre Eduardo Ravelo, uno de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados
- 06.16.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Offered in Maurice Spagnoletti Murder Case
- 06.15.2017 — FBI, This Week: Hogan’s Alley—The “Baddest” Town in America