Home Salt Lake City Press Releases 2011 Robert War Club Found Guilty in U.S. Federal Court

Robert War Club Found Guilty in U.S. Federal Court

U.S. Attorney’s Office August 09, 2011
  • District of Montana (406) 657-6101

The United States Attorney’s Office announced that on July 22, 2011 in Great Falls, after a federal district court trial before U.S. District Judge Sam E. Haddon, ROBERT WAR CLUB, a 49-year-old resident of Wolf Point, was found guilty of first-degree murder. Sentencing is set for September 26, 2011. He is currently detained.

At trial, the following evidence and testimony was presented to the jury.

On April 20, 2006, Richard Green’s body was found in his garage, located outside of Wolf Point on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. Green was a pawnbroker and poker dealer, both cash businesses. He was known to carry large amounts of cash. He had injuries to his head and face, and his throat had been slashed. The lining of his pocket was pulled out and there was no money in his pockets or wallet. The knife, a red butterfly knife, which was used to slash Green’s throat, was laying near the body. After an investigation that involved interviews, evidence collection, and laboratory testing of evidence, a hair and fiber found on Green’s body and in his body bag were linked to WAR CLUB. WAR CLUB had purchased a red butterfly knife from a local knife dealer, months before the murder and had been seen with a red butterfly knife before the murder.

WAR CLUB, a former tribal criminal investigator, had become addicted to pills and meth after sustaining an on-the-job shoulder injury that ended his law enforcement career. Months before the murder, WAR CLUB’s workers compensation benefits were cut off. At the time of Green’s murder, WAR CLUB owed Green $2,000, more than anyone else. On April 20, 2006, WAR CLUB was given a ride to Green’s house, before the body was found.

Assistant U.S. Attorneys Lori H. Suek and Leif Johnson prosecuted the case for the United States.

WAR CLUB faces possible penalties of life in prison, a $250,000 fine and five years’ supervised release.

The investigation was conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.