U.S. Attorney's Office
District of South Dakota
(605) 330-4400
June 4, 2014

Eagle Butte Man Sentenced for Assaulting, Resisting, and Impeding Federal Officers and Discharge of a Firearm During a Crime of Violence

United States Attorney Brendan V. Johnson announced that an Eagle Butte, South Dakota man convicted of assaulting, resisting, and impeding federal officers and discharge of a firearm during a crime of violence was sentenced on June 3, 2014, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Jason Todd Garreau, age 28, was sentenced to 20 years in custody, five years of supervised release, and a $200 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund. The 20-year sentence was ordered to be served consecutively to a 25-year sentence that was handed down last week in state court for attempted murder, to which Garreau had previously pled guilty.

Garreau was indicted by a federal grand jury on November 5, 2013. He pled guilty on March 5, 2014.

The conviction stems from a standoff Garreau had with law enforcement on October 31, 2013, at a Pierre residence. The standoff followed a high-speed chase that ensued on October 30, 2013, when law enforcement attempted to serve an arrest warrant on an individual. When the individual’s car was located, police discovered it was being driven by Garreau. Police attempted to execute a traffic stop on the vehicle, but Garreau then led police on a high-speed chase, which was aborted on east Highway 34.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs soon discovered the vehicle on the Crow Creek Reservation, and a new pursuit ensued. While in pursuit, Garreau made multiple phone calls to his cousin, who came to aid Garreau in the pursuit and the cousin opened fire on law enforcement, which allowed Garreau to flee the scene. The next day, Garreau was located at a residence in Pierre, and a SWAT team was called in to assist in the apprehension. When the SWAT team entered the residence, Garreau fired multiple shots from a Benelli shotgun and a Hi-Point handgun, injuring two police officers. Garreau surrendered and was taken into custody.

The investigation was conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, with assistance from the U.S. Marshals Service, South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation, South Dakota Highway Patrol, Hughes County Sheriff’s Office, and the Pierre Police Department. The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Meghan N. Dilges.

Garreau was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

This content has been reproduced from its original source.