Unsolved Murder of Father of Four
June 3, 2011
DNA evidence could help solve a decades-old murder case of a husband and father of four.
Mollie Halpern: DNA evidence could help solve a decades-old murder case of a husband and father of four. The FBI needs your help to find the person who matches that DNA.
Agent Ingerd Sotelo: Somebody had to have seen something that day. In 22 years, somebody talked to somebody, even if it wasn’t a full confession.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau, and this “Wanted by the FBI.” The date was June 8, 1989 and Donald Wegner began his workday at the Los Angeles Veteran’s Administration Medical Center at 5:30 a.m. The engineer was always the first to arrive and unlock the building. Nobody was seen following him. About 20 minutes later, a co-worker arrived.
Sotelo: And then he saw Don’s body on the floor, badly beaten, bleeding profusely. He was still alive, still breathing, but before paramedics came, he was dead.
Halpern: DNA science has developed since Don’s murder, and the FBI Lab found new DNA evidence…
Sotelo: And it doesn’t match the victim’s, so it’s somebody else. I want to know who that somebody is.
Halpern: If you have information, contact your local FBI office. Tips can remain anonymous.
- 06.22.2017 — FBI, This Week: Internet Crime Complaint Center Releases Annual Report
- 06.21.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Se Solicita Información Sobre Eduardo Ravelo, uno de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados
- 06.16.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Offered in Maurice Spagnoletti Murder Case
- 06.15.2017 — FBI, This Week: Hogan’s Alley—The “Baddest” Town in America
- 06.15.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Ingeniería Social