July 25, 2013
The FBI needs your help hunting down a fugitive wanted for international cyber crime schemes.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI needs your help hunting down a fugitive wanted for international cyber crime schemes.
Peteris Sahurovs, who has used the screen name Sagade, defrauded Internet users of millions of dollars.
Robert Cameron: Peteris utilized all his social engineering and Internet skills to defraud a multitude of U.S. companies.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern, and this is Wanted by the FBI. Sahurovs, a native of Latvia, created false websites and references to portray himself as a legitimate salesman for an online advertising agency. Special Agent Bob Cameron says Sahurovs placed ads on websites, but then…
Cameron: He replaced the picture of the ad with an infection, and this infection was fraudulent anti-virus software.
Halpern: The infection froze computers until users agreed to purchase anti-virus software.
Cameron: Not only did he defraud U.S. companies, he facilitated attacks against individuals.
Halpern: If you have information on Sahurovs’ whereabouts, contact your local FBI field office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate. To report Internet crime, visit www.ic3.gov.
- 12.20.2018 — FBI, This Week: Remembering the Victims of Pan Am Flight 103
- 12.13.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2017 NIBRS Crime Data Released
- 12.07.2018 — FBI, This Week: High School Class Collaborates with FBI Profilers
- 11.30.2018 — FBI, This Week: The Visiting Scientist Program
- 11.28.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Iranians Indicted for SamSam Ransomware Hacking and Extortion Scheme