The Director’s Community Leadership Awards
April 4, 2014
The FBI honors community leaders for their efforts in working with the Bureau to make America a safer place.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI honors community leaders for their efforts in working with the Bureau to make America a safer place.
I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau, and this is FBI, This Week. FBI Headquarters and each of the Bureau’s 56 field offices select one person or organization to receive the Director’s Community Leadership Award.
Deborah Johnson, a licensed minister, is an award recipient for her creation and work with a faith-based non-profit called Without Permission. The Modesto, California organization works with law enforcement to help child victims of human trafficking.
Deborah Johnson: It’s a beautiful relationship of the church and city leadership working together. And the reality is, we need each other. Law enforcement can’t do this without the community, and the community can’t do it without law enforcement. This is our home, these are our children, this is our community...and we need to take it back from the criminal.
Halpern: Without Permission is composed of about 900 volunteers from nearly 30 churches of many faiths who put in 10,000 volunteers hours just in 2013. Johnson says she and her team are humbled to receive this recognition from Director James Comey.
Johnson: I just want my life to matter, and when the FBI says, “Hey what you’re doing matters,” it feels really good to know that we’re making a difference, and, so, it’s a privilege to serve.
Halpern: This special award was formally created back in 1990.
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Virtual Kidnapping for Ransom Schemes
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted Report Released
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Critical Supplies to Those Impacted by Hurricane Maria
- 10.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Endangered Child Alert Program Seeks Information on Jane Doe 39
- 10.10.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Tenga Cuidado con el Fraude por Parte de Organizaciones Benéficas como Resultado de los Huracanes