Mortgage Fraud Cases Increase - II
June 6, 2008
The FBI is very busy investigating Mortgage Fraud. Special Agent Brian Weber of the FBI's Criminal Investigative Division knows...
Mr. Schiff: The FBI is very busy investigating Mortgage Fraud. Special Agent Brian Weber of the FBI's Criminal Investigative Division knows...
Mr. Weber: "One of the new scams we're seeing with the large increase in home foreclosures is Home Foreclosure Rescue Scams. These involve perpetrators basically targeting homeowners who are at risk for default or are already in foreclosure."
Mr. Schiff: Weber says homeowners are talked into believing they can save their home in exchange for upfront fees and deed transfers...
Mr. Weber: "The perpetrator ultimately transfers the property into his or her name via a Quick Claim Deed and promises to make the mortgage payments for the homeowner."
Mr. Schiff: Weber says it doesn't happen. The bad guys profit by remortgaging the property or pocketing fees...
Mr. Weber: "Ultimately, and tragically, the homeowners are therefore left with the original home mortgage not paid off and the perpetrator simply delayed the foreclosure of their home."
Mr. Schiff: Been a victim. Call the FBI. I'm Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's what's happening at the "FBI, This Week."
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Beware of Virtual Kidnapping for Ransom Schemes
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted Report Released
- 10.16.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Provides Critical Supplies to Those Impacted by Hurricane Maria
- 10.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Endangered Child Alert Program Seeks Information on Jane Doe 39
- 10.10.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Tenga Cuidado con el Fraude por Parte de Organizaciones Benéficas como Resultado de los Huracanes